sram s1000 1x10 Q's?

jas754
jas754 Posts: 26
edited June 2014 in MTB beginners
hi guys, my new bike turned up today, couple of quick questions can a s1000 2x10 chainset be converted to a 1x10 setup by just bolting a 104pcd chainring in place? and if so is a narrow/wide type chainring the way to go? sorry this stuff is all new too me, bike has a x9 type 2 rear derailleur, is some sort of chainguide necessary

ta

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    According to the internet, the BCD is 120mm so no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jas754
    SRAM S1000 38/24T 175mm MTB OEM Crankset

Labeling and finish mesh perfectly with SRAM drivetrain families. S1000 is forged out of our AL-6066 alloy providing a crank that is both beautiful, strong and light.

10-Speed compatibility intended to compliment our X7 and X9 Families.

Arm Material AL-6066-T6

Available Arm Length:- 175mm

Compatibility 10 speed chains

PCD Diameter 64mm/104mm

pretty sure my tape measure confirms 104pcd too
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Well then you answered your own question.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jas754
    i didnt really, i was asking if it was as simple as just replacing the chainring, never done it before, but guessing from your reply it is that simple, ta
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A double setup isn't quite as good as a triple for a 1x as the single chainring will sit slightly off the nominal chainline, but to be honest it is 'close enough'.

Remove current chainrings, fit single specific chainring, provide chain retention to the required level (which as you have a type2 mech could well just mean you use a narrow wide ring) depending on your intended usage.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Depending on the setup (I know nothing of this one) you may have scope to move the spacers around from one to the other to better the chainline.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep I ran a single ring on a double chainset, chain line wasn't amazing, but worked fine. Works components ones are highly regarded.

Moving spacers isn't ideal - your cranks will be off centre.
  • jas754
    thanks for the replies guys, ive ordered a raceface narrow wide chainring, see how i get on! the rear derailleur is a long cage hoping that wont be an issue, be nice to get away with no chain devices