France - Good Chips, Crap Sarnies

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited June 2014 in The bottom bracket
So France.

The good aspect of France is that EVERYWHERE you go the chips are amazing, A MA Z ING...

The bad aspect is that their sarnies are all crap, I went to a carrefour (supposed to be like our Tesco), their sarnies are no where near the awesomeness of Tesco sarnie (Carrefour was also more expensive).

The bread tasted like crap and the filling were like sick.

Every Carrefour smelt like rotten food too.

Next time I'll need to learn french to tell them this.

Also in Normandy we found an Irish pub that did FISH & CHIPS, that was awesome AND a pint of Guinness .

OH YEA!

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    You don't go to France and eat Sandwiches unless you make them yourself, find a local deli and buy a baguette, some brie and ham and make them yourself you lazy git.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Why not simply visit Ireland?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    Brie and Ham in a huge french baguette.

Maybe throw in a cheeky tomato and your onto a winning combination there!!
  • simonhead
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Why not simply visit Ireland?

amazing sandwiches
  • simonhead
    snowley wrote:
    Brie and Ham in a huge french baguette.

Maybe throw in a cheeky tomato and your onto a winning combination there!!

All about the cornichons or celeriac remoulade
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    So you went to France to eat sandwiches from a supermarket and eat fish and chips / drink Guinness in an 'Irish' pub :roll:

:lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Baguette and ham all the way for me, each morning from the shop on the campsite. If I must go to a supermarket in France, then it would normally be one of the German chains as they are much cheaper and even their cheap food is better quality than in the Tesco etc.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited June 2014
    Any viande en eau?

As an aside, this easily wins the Thread Title Of The Year competition. Chapeau, that man.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • simonhead
    On the chips note, you will find that most places don't really do chips, they are the American style and a poor relation to a good British chip, i have never had a truly great chip in France so please clarify if you are talking fries or chips?
  • willhub
    Both, fries and some places had DAMN PROPER CHIPS!
  • simonhead
    willhub wrote:
    Both, fries and some places had DAMN PROPER CHIPS!

Awesome, share these places for the good of mankind so that your fellow BBers never have to put up with anemic pommes frites again.
  • pblakeney
    McD's?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    arran77 wrote:
    So you went to France to eat sandwiches from a supermarket and eat fish and chips / drink Guinness in an 'Irish' pub :roll:

:lol:

It's Willhub, this is a culinary step up :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pure and utter comedy genius. Perhaps one of the finest of all time?

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12801135
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    A sandwich in france is a filled baguette and quite delicious from the right boulangerie. I think they try to cater for the plebs across la manche but probably not very successfully. Jambon et brie is the way to go
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    I've never had a good meal in a restaurant in France. I don't think i've ever bought a sandwich there, either.
    For a country that has the reputation as the centre of cuisine I have been disappointed.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Never thought I'd hear or read anyone describe food from Tesco as awesome. Guess it really is grim up north.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Never thought I'd hear or read anyone describe food from Tesco as awesome. Guess it really is grim up north.

Don't confuse Willhub with anyone else from the North. He could have come from anywhere!
    Gethinceri wrote:
    I've never had a good meal in a restaurant in France. I don't think i've ever bought a sandwich there, either.

Quite some achievement. I don't think I've ever had a bad meal in a restaurant in France.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pblakeney
    Rolf F wrote:

Don't confuse Willhub with anyone else from the North. He could have come from anywhere!
    Doesn't he originate from London and moved to Manchester to go to University?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Me not had a bad meal in france either. At lunchtime go where the vans and the lorries are for a superb meal for next to nothing, probably a relais routier.

In the evening have a recce to see where the locals are eating. Unlike the brits they aint stoopid...
  • paulleary
    paulleary Posts: 35
    what about a baguette , pate de campagne and cornichons ! nom nom nom
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Gethinceri wrote:
    For a country that has the reputation as the centre of cuisine I have been disappointed.
    Best way to eat well in France is go to an Italian restaurant. :P
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    If in a reasonably big town in France, eat at the local railway station (counter intuitive I know!) they have always been, in my experience, excellent places to eat and tremendous value.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    crispybug2 wrote:
    If in a reasonably big town in France, eat at the local railway station (counter intuitive I know!) they have always been, in my experience, excellent places to eat and tremendous value.

If in Le Havre, ignore crispybug's advice.
  • willhub
    johnfinch wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:

If in Le Havre, ignore crispybug's advice.

Most of the places looked like crap holes with nice little bits in between, Le Harve looked like absoloute crap. That's were we got a maccie d's from and got lost on the roads.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Le Havre is, indeed, a crap hole. I'm still sure you could have done better than a McDonalds though...