New brake set for £250

dot1
dot1 Posts: 538
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, currently run Formula ORO 24's on my Trek, but I am looking to upgrade. I was looking at the Avid X0 Trail but I just keep being put off them. I like a good solid and firm bite on the brakes, and have read in a few different places that people who like a strong bite shouldn't go for them. I've had a set of Juicy 5's before and got shot of them as they were pretty awful.

So I'm after recommendations for a set of brakes for around the £250 mark (obviously the cheaper the better). For that price I want front and rear brakes, rotors, and bolts etc. Nothing overly wrong with my current brakes other than i am starting to ride faster now and am also going to BPW and Morzine this summer and like a shiny new set of anchors.

I'd like to keep the weight down as much as possible (i.e. not Saints) but other than that I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks guys!
Trek Remedy 7 2009
viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Stick with the Formulas, maybe upgrade disc size, or get XT, only other option is Magura - seems dacft to me though to shell out so much for something pretty much the same as you ave now. Have a look at the comparative braking power charts on here.

Avid X0's will feel just like your much 'loved' Juicy 5's.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    you could get a set of XTR for another score
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8