Yorkshire TDF - viewing plan

Comments

• Link to official timings:

http://letour.yorkshire.com/timings

Road closures, etc:

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/28 ... es-and-map

From above: 'Will cyclists be able to cycle to a viewing point after the road closures are in place?
    Yes. The intention is that cyclists will be able to access the closed roads up until the route is handed over to the race organisers'.

There will be a big screen near the finish at West Park, Harrogate, as well as other locations
    http://letour.yorkshire.com/stage-1

My clever shrew of a girlfriend found us B&B in Harrogate; we intend to see the race head out from somewhere near Harewood / Otley then ride back to somewhere near-ish the finish in Harrogate.

Day 2, maybe we'll head out of Harrogate to the Cote de Blubberhouses. Am I excited? Yes, I ruddy well am! Yorkshire is one of my spiritual homes and it will be amazing to see the Tour on those home roads.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited March 2014
    From above: 'Will cyclists be able to cycle to a viewing point after the road closures are in place?
    Yes. The intention is that cyclists will be able to access the closed roads up until the route is handed over to the race organisers'.

That's interesting thanks as all I'd read up to now only concerned car traffic. I do wonder basically say I wanted to watch from between Reeth and Leyburn, just what time I need to get there! I'm also wondering about cycling from home in Chester-le-Street, which should be doable as it's 50 miles to get there.

I do like that page it's basically like "What about if I need to get to work?" "Tough". "What about if I have a delivery I need". "Tough" - That being said I bet there are a barrage of complaints on the weekend from people who seemingly didn't know...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Quick question, is it realistic or unrealistic to think of cycling across Huddersfield and up Holme Moss at say 6am to find a spot? (is that a no-chance, or is it actually planning to move a bit too early?). Ta.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    We are coming from doncaster area along the trans pennine trail( On MTB) to watch it around the woodhead pass bit after holme moss.

• That's interesting thanks as all I'd read up to now only concerned car traffic. I do wonder basically say I wanted to watch from between Reeth and Leyburn, just what time I need to get there! I'm also wondering about cycling from home in Chester-le-Street, which should be doable as it's 50 miles to get there.

In my limited experience - unless you want to get to a set-piece area with limited access (such as Holme Moss) then attitudes to riding on the course before the race entourage need it are fairly relaxed. But as suggested elsewhere in the thread the Tour in Yorkshire is a one-off and you can't necessarily judge it by what happens in France. I guess look for an entry point that gives you the option to walk to a nice spot just in case you get caught out by unexpectadly zealous policing. Aim for a hour or so before the caravane / race (whichever you want to catch) I reckon?

We may (if feeling energetic) be riding from Durham, btw, though that will be the day before.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    mfin wrote:
    Quick question, is it realistic or unrealistic to think of cycling across Huddersfield and up Holme Moss at say 6am to find a spot? (is that a no-chance, or is it actually planning to move a bit too early?). Ta.

Found some more info for Holm Moss:

•Holme Moss will be closed to non-emergency vehicles a few days before the race. The rest of the route will be closed from very early on Sunday morning.

•The route will be open to cyclists and walkers until around two hours before the race is scheduled to pass. We suggest that you should be at your chosen spot by this point to secure a good view.

http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/events/tourD ... eMoss.aspx

Some nice pubs in Holmfirth and a lot of time to kill, do I bike it or walk :?:
  • Just checked the route through Sheffield again.

The more I see it, the more excited I get, but the more I expect a Sagan win. A steep climb followed by a chance for it to regroup.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    The number of people proposing to watch in Leeds, Harewood, and other areas and then head over to Harrogate - many wont get a viewing point of any worth in all honesty. The final 2km has very limited capacity and will be full by midday.

A series of spectator hubs have been established by Councils, local communities, national parks etc. Some are being defined as 'official hubs' but they were going to happen regardless at llocations where you can arrive early morning, watch most of the race and see the action live. Surrounded by bars, restaurants and other facilities to allow people to make the most of the day.

The mass migration from one area to another is going to leave a hell of a lot of people disappointed.

Road closure info will be drip fed over coming weeks. There's a desire by a certain agency to release all info about closures in one block by themselves, but they aren't funding it, are not organising, are accepting no responsibility or liability for the event and therefore have no real say overall - though all accept a desire to present a unified message and attract people to Yorkshire to come and spend money, enjoy not just the race by hotels, bars, restaurants, shops etc. The Councils have been left to organise and have to liaise with communities, residents and businesses and its therefore important the information goes out as soon as possible. Closures will be onerous, but the reality is the race is being held on roads that cannot accommodate thousands of cars, there probably aren't enough car parks and hence people who think they can set off at 7am and get to the heart of the dales for example just aren't going to get there. If congestion occurs, roads may well get closed even earlier. Some will be closed the night before - parking will be stopped days in advance both on and off the race route, probably with some cars/ campers removed to maintain emergency access and maintain roadside capacity for people to watch.

Big tip - if you can cycle - cycle. You'll be allowed on race route on most sections that have been closed from early morning till about 30-45mins before the caravan passes. There are some sites being set up away from the route allowing you to park and then bike 10-15miles to the route.
  • thefog

That's interesting thanks as all I'd read up to now only concerned car traffic. I do wonder basically say I wanted to watch from between Reeth and Leyburn, just what time I need to get there! I'm also wondering about cycling from home in Chester-le-Street, which should be doable as it's 50 miles to get there.

I do like that page it's basically like "What about if I need to get to work?" "Tough". "What about if I have a delivery I need". "Tough" - That being said I bet there are a barrage of complaints on the weekend from people who seemingly didn't know...

Get there early morning, long before the roads are closed to vehicular traffic around early to mid morning, spend some money in Reeth on breakfast, goto the Dales Bike centre, have a coffee and cake. Cycle up Grinton Bank dodging all the crowds wandering up whilst the closures are in place, find a viewing spot, enjoy the build up, caravan, race then cycle back down to big screens in Reeth, DBC or go the other way and watch on the big screens in Leyburn. Spend some money there too. Sorted.
  • thefog
    and if you are going to Harrogate and cant get roadside, enjoy.

http://www.tourdefrancefanpark.co.uk/ha ... -park.html
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I have heard some mythical tales about extortionate costs of accommodation... not sure these are true?
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Let the train take the strain? No problem with road closures!
    Wensleydale Railway is running Tour specials from early Saturday.
    Can't see any reference to this on the official TdF sites.
    Get a train to within a few yards of the route, or take your bike to Redmire and bike?
    Room for 20 bikes per train!
    http://www.wensleydalerail.com/train-ti ... -timetable
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    This promises to be a good couple of days.. :D:D:D:D
  • We have booked into a campsite at holmfirh..Holme valley camping..did it 16mths ago..woman on the phone thought I was bonkers booking so early,if only she knew how big this bike race is :lol: anyway going have beers in holmfirh sat nite,then an early walk up to Holme moss it's going to be amazing,just pray for good weather :D
  • 16mths before the day of the race I meant :shock:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Seen this - http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... app-40620/

If youre a fanboi*, it's free, can't go wrong really...

*or a work enforced fanboi like me :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • feemackenzie
    feemackenzie Posts: 130
    Planning on staying outside Ripon - Winksley - and cycling in with (not cycling fan) kids. Watching at last roundabout in `Ripon so kids can visit Morrisons during buildup.
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Going on a bank holiday recce over Holme Moss today - so will try and work out where I want to be standing!
  • orangepip
    orangepip Posts: 219
    TheFog wrote:
    and if you are going to Harrogate and cant get roadside, enjoy.

http://www.tourdefrancefanpark.co.uk/ha ... -park.html
    I'm going to be in Harrogate that weekend and am wondering if the VIP tickets are worth it? Anyone been to one before?
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    Just booked the park and cycle at Catterick Golf Club. It's £10 for the day. Place is reserved until 8am. Hopefully going to cycle up to Grinton Moor just after Reeth.
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    My relatives live a 5 minute walk from the Stray in Harrogate. I can travel down from Newcastle, taking the missus and our young kids to combine TdF with a family catch up. My options are:

a) Drive down Fri after work, stay over, travel home Sat evening.
    b) Drive down early Sat, aiming to arrive in Harrogate no later than 9am. Stay over. Travel home Sunday morning.
    c) Drive down early Sat, travel home Sat evening.

Any thoughts on which option is likely to best / worst for traffic ?
  • thefog
    Depends whereabouts in town they live.

Town centre is effectively closed, all traffic directed to yorkshire show ground site.

If you can get down Friday, do so. Traffic will also be horrendous 4.30pm through to mid evening....
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I was cycling with someone from the organisers recently and in the case of Stage 2 the Cragg Vale road is closed to traffic from 6.30am - should be ok for bikes up to a certain time. Around Ripponden Bank, some farmers are allowing parking on their land at £10 a car (obviously muddy conditions may influence this). Organisers are expecting something like 10,000 people on Cragg and H-Moss.
    M.Rushton
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    TheFog wrote:
    Depends whereabouts in town they live.

Town centre is effectively closed, all traffic directed to yorkshire show ground site.

If you can get down Friday, do so. Traffic will also be horrendous 4.30pm through to mid evening....

Cheers for the advice.

They live in the houses directly between the Stray and The Yorkshire Show Ground, I think that area of town is called Woodlands ? St Aidans School is at the end of their street.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Holme Moss and parts of Woodhead are being closed on the Friday. Same for some of the roads leading there too. Glossop has major restrictions (including access permits for residents) and temporary one way system. There is a park and ride bus from Hadfield upto Crowden youth club. A colleague lives in Hadfield and tells me the advice for locals is expect it to be chock a block traffic wise. Full details on Derbyshire County Council website.

Trains to Hadfield and Glossop are apparently enforcing the 2 bikes max per train policy.

Despite Holme Moss being on my doorstep I'm off to Leeds for the roll out, unable to reserve seats on the train 3 months ago. Then off to Sheffield for the finish of stage 2. Again train companies are basically saying you can travel with us, but don't bring your bike. They expect increased numbers travelling - wonder if they stick to the usual size of trains? Whenever it is SkyRide the trains have no extra capacity. During the Olympics, the trains were dangerously overcrowded going into Manchester (football at old Trafford).
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I'm thinking of taking the family to the fan park in Harrogate. A little worried it will be overcrowded and not much fun. Anyone else got and plans with children in tow.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    FJS wrote:
    Perhaps there's all kind of good personal reasons, but most plans I see on the forum tend to focus on the Yorkshire Dales on the Saturday, which I'd find odd, considering the Sunday stage is likely to offer so much better viewing, in the last 40 kms at least - peloton in bits and pieces so more time to see riders; more hills to choose from to watch on.
    Not sure where I'm going yet, but one of the local bike shops in Sheffield is planning a camping, big screen and live music at High Bradfield. Should be good fun

I'll be at High Bradfield - booked into one of the campsites there. Looks like they are laying on plenty of entertainment.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Just rang up a few campsites around Harrogate and a lot of the temporary ones had cancelled and the site I went with seemed to have a lot of space. I suspect that all the talk of it being super busy might have scared a few people away from staying up there - which I have a feeling will mean it's very very busy as people drive in...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thefog
    It's more to do with volume - too many sites within limited areas and the power of some of the larger festivals.

Welcome to Yorkshire received payment from Harewood estate to run the start if the race there, so of course it's been marketed well. In reality it's a crap place to watch as they aren't racing, simply lots of VIPs lording it and the ceremonial start.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Have I got any realistic chance of being able to drive down to Hawes on the day and actually get parked in the town?

Not going to have any time off work to come down before and my son doesn't ride on the road, so cycling in to the route not really an option unless there are off road tracks.

Makes my trip over to Belfast for the Giro seem a piece of cake!!!

And also makes me appreciate how easy it is in France. Never had a problem seeing a stage there...