Hello and advice needed, should I upgrade or replace?

The_neB
The_neB Posts: 10
edited June 2014 in MTB beginners
Hello people of the forums :)

I've recently began cycling at Cannock chase with a few mates but my previous mtb experience has been solely dirt jumps and whilst my 2006 GT Chucker has never let me down I found myself struggling (a lot) when it came to riding at the chase.

I admit I'm not in the best shape I've ever been in but as my job is reasonably demanding physically I'm not unhealthy either.

I'm just wondering if anyone who knows a little more than me could tell me if my current bike is utterly terrible for trails riding and should be replaced completely or just needs a few tweeks to perform better?

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers,
Ben

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will never make a decent XC bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    For how much it's worth, I'd probably keep hold of it and get something else for the chase etc. As Cooldad said, they're anything but a trail bike and you'd be far better off with spending the money on something else.
  • The_neB
    Cheers guys, guess I should stop drooling over forks n start looking at for a decent budget bike then
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Too be honest it depends on your size, a Chucker frame can make a reasonable XC/trail bike for shorter people, but not for a normal adult male. My daughter (5'5") uses a Scott Voltage frame (very similar to the Chucker) and that works for her really well, its built as a trail bike with 120mm forks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I bought an old Kona a few years ago for £120 (2006 model), stripped all the old components etc the bike looked bran new. And I was happy with that. Yes your buddies might have the latest and the greatest but you go show them that you can still have fun.
  • The Rookie
    You seem to have missed the fact that the Chucker is marketed as a jump style frame so is quite short, hence my comments above about sizing, if the frame geometry is wrong it can be brand new and fitted with all the right bits and still be crap at it's job.

Noting that I ride a 2006 Carrera (top link in sig), but that frame is right for the job.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The_neB
    I'm used to the frame size of my chucker, although I am 5' 9" I like it and enjoy riding although find I struggle on the more technical areas and definitely the climbs (probably I'm just too out of shape)

But I'm on a budget (£500 max) will I get more by replacing forks and gears, maybe the cranks too as I hear they are unreliable (mine seem fine) as I like the frame

Or will I never get the performance will the smaller frame, as from what I've read I'm going to be limited to 120mm fork travel?

Will a £500 complete bike actually be any better?

Cheers
    Ben
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    You'd be amazed at the difference a bike designed for trails will make to your ride over the Chucker... I suspect. Have you not asked to swap bikes with your mates for a climb and a descent? Or, ask to borrow if and go out on your own so you can put a full loop on a trail bike. Or hire (you can hire from the shop I think?). Only then will you know if your riding style is too embedded in the small-jump style or if you really do need the room to stretch out.
    And yeah, you can get some great bikes for £500, especially if you keep an eye on ex-demo bikes from stores.
  • The_neB
    Cheers bluechair, can't believe that hasn't occurred to me, I'll pop in next time I'm there
  • The Rookie
    The shorter wheelbase will make it harder to climb and descend as it pitches your weight relatively further back/forward.

As suggested, try out another bike.

If I had £500 I'd be looking for a good used bike, you can get a pretty tasty bike for that.
  • The Rookie
    At 5'9" I'd suggest he wants a small or medium, not a large.....