Family transport...

Cyclum
Cyclum Posts: 104
I have 2 kids that I transport using a bike/trailer. They are now 2 and 4 and the trailer is starting to look a bit cramped.

What alternatives are there? Obviously I would like my eldest to be on his own bike at some point but he's not quite ready for the distance/speed that I need him to do - particularly as some of our route is alongside some busy roads. Also I do most journeys alone so splitting the kids between bikes also isn't an option.

Thanks.

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Mine are 3 yrs apart. Here's what I've done.
    Trailer
    Bakfiets-styled cargobike.
    BoBike mini front-mounted seat, with trailgator mounted bike at rear.
    WeeRide (once exceeded weight limit of BoBike) and trailgator.
    Now, at 8 and 5, the 8 yr old rides solo, and the 5yo is on the trailgator some of the time, solo some of the time.

For you... it's really tough. I've seem people put trailgator/trail angel on the rear, and then attach a trailer to that (inc on these fora). Not sure how I'd feel about doing longer distances that way.

In a year or so, things will get a lot easier.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    How about a cargo bike?

R7ksiz.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    As they get towards 5, worth looking at a tandem that adjusts to fit a kid or an adult at the back.

We have an Orbit Libra that cost about £650 IIRC. Both the older kids used it and now my wife and I use it to tow the 3 year old in the Croozer.

Hugely better than a tag-along IMO, and great fun.

Got us convinced of tandems in general and when the youngest is on his own bike the dream is to invest in a Co-Motion (pricey, but still cheaper than a second car).
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    Another vote here for a tandem.

I was in the same problem as you when my youngest started at nursery a couple of year's ago.

I've got a Circe Helios - again not cheap but does the business.

14247601259_566d6784c0.jpg

The rear seat post is telescopic so will fit a small child or an adult.

We started using it when my eldest was 3yo but he is very tall, so may be later for others.

The kids love it, especially the eldest who get's to pedal. I like knowing that they are just behind me and we can make good speed on it.

I prefer it to a tagalong/trailer as it is easier manoeuvre and on wet days you don't have to wipe the mud of the tagalong rider's face. ;-). Although as my youngest is about to outgrow the childseat we will shortly be putting a tagalong onto the rear rack.

Good luck.
  • Cyclum
    Thanks. How are they through bike gate? There are a lot of cycle paths round here which is great but many have gates at each end. I can't go through some a it is because the council helpfully put bollards in front of them to stop motorbikes. There's one in particular that I have to starch the trailer and put it through separately, but doing that knocks off 20 minutes off my journey.
    Thanks.
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    A chicane and a bollard :shock: Not heard of that combination before.

The Helios is a bit longer than an ordinary bike, but with 20" wheels not that much longer, although a much bigger turning circle. The problem usually comes from the width, both the stoker's handlebars and the childseat, and not being able to easily lift the rear wheel round.

With a little practice I can get through most of the chicanes round here - although it can involve pushing through a hedge to get the alignment right - one wet days the passengers complain.

I'm not sure how I'll be able to say for definite that a Helios would get through, without a site visit. Are you able to post a picture (or PM me) and I'll happily give you my views.
  • Cyclum
    Tell me about it. They are clearly designed by people who have never been on a bicycle before. They were normal gates (even those are completely downy from one anothe, they started being used by youths on mopeds (although I only ever saw odd kids pushing them), so a great solution was to put more obstacles in the way - I'm not sure how they really thought that something would stop one type of bike but allow another.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Odd in that they were pushing rather than riding? :)

Seriously, though, it is amazing the lengths designers of cycle paths go to in order to prevent cyclists being able to actually use them. I don't think they've come across trailers (for kids or for goods) or tandems, both all part of making cycling a truly viable alternative to the car.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    There is the Weehoo Igo2 which will take both kids
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed