Front rack for suspension forks

allen-uk
allen-uk Posts: 146
edited June 2014 in Commuting general
Hello.

Does anyone sell a front rack that I could use on my mountain bike, front forks pictured below.

I suppose the only good thing (rack-wise) about the forks is that I have hydraulic discs, so at least they're not in the way!

Advice appreciated.

Allen.

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Axiom Low Rider

You may need to adjust the suspension after fitting and loading up to compensate for the change in unsprung weight.

Though I imagine if you are loading the bike up so much that you need front racks you won't be taking it over really rough terrain at pace.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • allen-uk
    Thanks initialised.

A
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You may need to adjust the suspension after fitting and loading up to compensate for the change in unsprung weight.
    As his forks have no damping, they can't be adjusted for changes in unsprung weight!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • allen-uk
    Thanks for the further info, Rookie.

Like many (most?) bike riders, I know very little about the more sophisticated aspects of modern cycle technology - including suspension forks. The bike shop where I bought it from said "Would you like suspension forks?" and as it sounded like a good idea, I said yes!

It was so simple 50 years ago...

A.
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, for info what you have are basic forks (though reasonable quality), they have a spring medium and a preload so you get the right ride height, but they have no damping (aka shock absorber), they are fine for road/gravel track use and taking the 'sting' out of bumps but they would be a bit bouncy and uncontrolled for proper off road use, I would run them as stiff as you can while still taking that 'sting' out so you don't lose too much pedalling efficiency.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • allen-uk
    Thank you so much for all that, rookie - I understand what they do much better now.

If I use P Clips top and bottom of the struts (if that's the right word) in order to mount a Blackburn front rack, is there anything I should watch out for? All the forks have is a mudguard fixing, tucked out of the way.

Ta.

A.
  • The Rookie
    Not sure you'll get P clips big enough to fit round suspension fork lowers, hence why you were linked to one designed for suspension forks.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    There's a company from USA distributed by Carradice IIRC. OMM, original mountain something. Not same as OMM walking gear. They fit even suspension forks and take a good weight too. Expensive but highly rated and performing I believe. They do variants for most types of bikes too.
  • allen-uk
    The US firm is Old Man Mountain, and yes they do make racks compatible with suspension forks. Pricey, but possible. Axiom tend towards pannier-carrying units but they might do the 'platform' racks that I'm after - I haven't come across any by Axiom.

I'm sure I'll find a way to do it.

Thanks.

A