Cycling Buddy

Bellypopper
Bellypopper Posts: 140
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
Hi All

I am a reasonably unfit, overweight middle aged chap (gawd, that paints an awful picture!) looking for a cycling buddy in the Waterlooville/Portsmouth area to meet for evening and/or weekend rides.

I am having trouble getting motivated to get out on my own. Anyone up for it?

Cheers
Russ

Comments

• Bellypopper
    Thanks, had a look but can't see anything local which covers recreational cycling for begineers :(
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Could have a look here http://cyclingbuddy.com/ or maybe see if there are any skyrides in your area?
  • janp
    janp Posts: 15
    Russ,

I live in Denmead, so roughly 2 miles from Waterlooville.

I'm keen to meet new cyclists. It doesn't matter if you're unfit, I always stay at the same pace with whoever I'm riding with.
    I cycle pretty much every evening after work, and you would be more than welcome to join me. Please let me know if you're interested.

All the best,

Jan
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I think you would be better addressing your lack of motivation, whats stopping you from getting out of the door?
  • janp
    I think you would be better addressing your lack of motivation, whats stopping you from getting out of the door?

Maybe lack of social interaction....? I generally cycle more when I'm with others, if I'm cycling with somebody faster than me, it pushes me to try and keep up.

Anywho, I tried to PM the OP but I think the PM system is down. I guess reply here if your interested.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    You could try the CTC Portsmouth group- they meet in Havant for gentle Saturday and Wednesday morning rides. I started out with them and they were a really friendly bunch, with an average speed of around 12mph including hills.
    They can do long distance rides, but you can always join them part way (or to elevenses) before turning back for home rather than the whole ride.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Check on the local clubs. There a couple by me (not near Portsmouth) and one is very beginner friendly and they just pootle along in big groups round the country lanes. They do various on or off road rides rides over the week ranging from slow Sunday rides to full on competition training. Most have websites which give you an idea of what they are like. Not all cyclists are short, slim, weight 60kg and rides tens of miles at high speed while starving themselves ;)
  • Bellypopper
    Hi all

Thanks for the replies, janp I would be interested in meeting up with you. Perhaps we can arrange something?

Cheers
    Russs
  • janp
    Hi all

Thanks for the replies, janp I would be interested in meeting up with you. Perhaps we can arrange something?

Cheers
    Russs

Hi Russ,

Cheers for the reply. Definitely up for a bike ride with you. I'm not sure the best way to arrange. I don't seem to be able to PM you otherwise I could send you my details.
  • janp
    Russ,

Still can't PM you mate, I think this website has issues.

Are you on any other forums (CycleChat, etc)? Where I can PM you my email address/phone number? Don't want to post anything publicly.

Cheers

Jan
  • Mark_P
    Mark_P Posts: 51
    Good to see you've found a buddy, Russ. I suspect this might be a controversial suggestion, but a couple of years ago I got fed up with riding on my own and went on a couple of the Sky rides in my area. The leaders, as well as some of the participants were keen to meet people of a similar level to ride with, and we ended up doing a lot of riding away from the Sky approved routes. I would suggest anyone in your position look into them and make an informed decision.
  • Bellypopper
    Hi Janp,

Hmm, thats a pain. Are you the same Janp who is on cyclingbuddy.com? If you are, I can PM you details through the website

Cheers
    Russ
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Hi Janp,

Hmm, thats a pain. Are you the same Janp who is on cyclingbuddy.com? If you are, I can PM you details through the website

Cheers
    Russ

No there are loads of Janp's out there.
  • Bellypopper
    Hi Janp,

Cheers
    Russ

No there are loads of Janp's out there.

Thanks for your helpful post Frank Wilson, what a total merchant banker you are... it was actually the same JanP