chain issues

davegore2005
davegore2005 Posts: 87
edited June 2014 in The workshop
help please, anyone!!

i fitted a new chain to my boardman hybrid, a SRAM 9 speed powerlink chain, the bike has only done about 1000 miles but I was behind on the cleaning and could not get the old chain clean.

fitted the chain no problem, measured it to the old one so it's the same length, but since it's fitted the bike runs fine in the larger rings of the cassette, but from 7th 8th or 9th gear on the small ring or 16th 17th or 18th on the big ring the chain seems almost to slip over the rear cassette as you pedal, I don't think it's an issue of wear on the cassette as I never really used the bigger gears on a regular basis, i spent far more time in the bigger teeth than the smaller ones

i have checked and checked again that there are no tight links on the chain and where I shortened it there seem to be no issues, it's running nice and smooth, it's just very frustrating that the chain seems to almost not want to grab the smaller teeth on the cassette.

any advice appreciated

Dave

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Resize the chain correctly (big/big missing out the rear mech and overlap by one pair of links), its that or the sprockets are worn or the indexing out.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.