Not sure what bike to get - Cyclescheme

anish24
anish24 Posts: 11
edited June 2014 in Commuting general
Hi Guys

First post here, my workplace is now doing a cyclescheme and looking to get a bike to commute occasionally and leisure on the weekend maybe cycling down to the park etc (might go on a few hills now and again)

Not sure what type of bike to get - road or hybrid and what type of bike/brand to get. I want to spend around £600, was set on getting a boardman (heard good things) but you can only get them at halfords and the cyclescheme is only available at a few places in my town which don't sell boardmans.

So wanted to know whats the best type of bike to get, hybrid or road? Best brand/bike for £600/700? as mentioned will be used to commuting (mainly roads) leisure on the weekend (maybe some hills and other terrain)

Cheers in advance

Anish

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Endurance Road is probably the best place to start, these will usually allow bigger tyres, run disc brakes and have a more relaxed geometry than a race bike.

If you can use Evans the Fuji Sportif is good value.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I've just ordered myself a Specialized Secteur (£850, bit outside your budget, but they doa cheaper version). Relaxed geometry, but still a 'road bike' so easy to do longer runs. More relaxed geometry than an Alliez. Switching up from my Sirrus, my previous/current ride, which is a great bike but having got myself a proper carbon roadie a while ago, I've really been craving a road bike for the commute, too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cyclescheme can be used at Evans.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I find hybrid bicycles work wonders for me.

A quick search for the best hybrid bike on Google brought me to this great review of Specialzed Sirrus Hybrid Bike:
    http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/lates ... 72crx.aspx

Hopefully it's within your budget after the currency conversion.