Bunnyhop height

meehah
meehah Posts: 11
edited June 2014 in MTB general
Hey bike radar. I've been practicing my bunnyhops and have got them about 2-4 inches off the ground most times and am wanting to get them higher. Anyone got tips for getting them higher?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Learn to manual first.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    American style (lift front/manual then hop) tend to result in a higher hop.

My highest hops involve half a pedal stroke whilst lifting the front, bit like a wheelie before hopping. My best result was a hop over 4 skateboards stacked edge to edge.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    POAH wrote:
    invest in spd's lol

That's not bunny hopping, thats cheating.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    As has been said, learn to manual, and when you do pull a manual to lift the front, and then push the front forwards/ down whilst moving your weight forward and lifting your feet
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    That's not bunny hopping, thats cleating.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I too am learning. There are a load of videos on Youtube to help. I like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xNJR8W0YH4
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:
    invest in spd's lol

That's not bunny hopping, thats cheating.

rubbish
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's not the proper technique pulling the bike up with spds. You will be less well balanced than if you use the flat shoe technique even when wearing spds.
  • We built a hopometer to mess about on. Great fun on the MTBs and the BMXs.... Can get a bit competitive!

6HYmIFh.png
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    That's not bunny hopping, thats cleating.

:lol:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    It's not the proper technique pulling the bike up with spds. You will be less well balanced than if you use the flat shoe technique even when wearing spds.

its not the original technique that I learned to do but its still a technique to lift the bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's more likely to put you off balance and land you on your face. Anything that involves pulling up generally moves your CofG in front of the cranks.
    Spds or not I would much rather use the technique wher you manual and unweight the rear to pop it up, no pulling involved. If you get it wrong, you're in a good position to ride it out comfortably.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    POAH wrote:

its not the original technique that I learned to do but its still a technique to lift the bike.

Totally agree with Rockmonkey, that's crap technique, if your pedal releases unexpectedly you're gonna have quite a crash. It's pretty limiting in how high you can actually get too.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I concur, and is one of the primary reasons I'm running flats at the mo,to get the proper technique dialed.
  • welshkev
    njee20 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Totally agree with Rockmonkey, that's crap technique, if your pedal releases unexpectedly you're gonna have quite a crash. It's pretty limiting in how high you can actually get too.

yep, I can tell you that when your pedal upclips and you land 1 footed and hit a tree it hurts :lol:

I still run spd's though :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But if you use the correct technique for flats, there is no problem running SPD's, its just (like me - LOL) if you rely on the clips only that you can end up with problems.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    Just watched Danny MacAskill do 120cm at the weekend in his Baden show, something to aim for!
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I remember seeing Steve Geall break the world record back in the early 90's. I think it was on the first Sprung film. Great bike film, well worth watching. The first four Sprung videos are on YouTube now.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Chuffing love the sprung films, and Steve Geall was The Man!!

I saw Martin Hawes break the record about 10 years ago, he was doing a demo at a shop in town, nice bloke and he brought Rob Warner along with him too which was cool.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • welshkev
    Maro wrote:

I saw Martin Hawes break the record about 10 years ago, he was doing a demo at a shop in town, nice bloke and he brought Rob Warner along with him too which was cool.

Why did he stop riding and take up motorbike trials? He was poo at that ha ha
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The Rookie wrote:
    But if you use the correct technique for flats, there is no problem running SPD's, its just (like me - LOL) if you rely on the clips only that you can end up with problems.

Agreed, some very worn cleats inspired me to learn to do it properly! It's far more satisfying than a "yank and hope" SPD technique too! Interestingly the one thing I notice is far harder/worse on my 29er.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Maro wrote:
    Chuffing love the sprung films, and Steve Geall was The Man!!

He made a bit of a return to racing last year and beat the second fastest veteran by 11 seconds on a sub 2 minute track!
    Proper good rider and a nice bloke.