Continental Mountain King Question

theblarney
theblarney Posts: 102
edited June 2014 in MTB general
Hi,

I have just bought a new Mountain King 2.2 tyre for the rear and compared to the Schwalbe I had its great so I want to swap out the front too.

My question is: for general single track riding should I stick with 2.2 or put 2.4 on the front?

I dont do knarly downhill stuff just mile crunching on the great Chilterns singletrack and the Coast to Coast next month.

Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd use the smaller one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    The Mountain King 2 is a narrow tyre compared to some. Generally 2.2 at rear and 2.4 at front unless touring.
  • theblarney
    theblarney Posts: 102
    adamfo wrote:
    The Mountain King 2 is a narrow tyre compared to some. Generally 2.2 at rear and 2.4 at front unless touring.
    Thanks, im doing the offroad coast to coast next month, would like kind of setup be ok for the dales etc?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    2.2 front and rear. There's no need for the (huge) 2.4 for what you are doing.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Mountain king 2.2 back, trail king 2.2 front
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I managed to snag the side wall on the front tyre, which popped with a fine bang last week even heard it over motorway traffic, it was on the bike rack.

So I went hunting for a replacement, this being a Sunday and the area of wales it was, wasn't much open plus the bike is a 29er so I had choice of 29-2.2 mountain king or nothing from halfords...

I had fairly low expectations I'll admit but it's been fine, bumped it over some very rocky trails, though mud etc, it even managed to hold on to wet polished limestone, going down one wet and steep incline.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    2.2 front and rear. There's no need for the (huge) 2.4 for what you are doing.

Mountain Kings are tiny for their size, the 2.4 is about the same size as a 2.25 Crossmark. I'd personally go for the 2.4 on the front.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    The 2.4 is much bigger than the 2.2 but I prefer it. The 2.2 feels too sketchy on the trails that I ride but it may be ok for you.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • mat-ster
    mat-ster Posts: 55
    OK I have experience with this tyre in the Black Chili compound...2.2

On the rear I have had a couple of punctures, one was a snake bite (miss timing a double). The other was a bit strange.. OK pressure but nicked one side.

OK
    Wet conditions - OK in mud on the rear, front a bit sketchy
    Dry conditions - good
    Very dry conditions - the rear tends to skip around and catch rocks on the side wall.
    Rocky - very good traction climbing poor on the down.

The tyre is a nasty rugger to fit on a stans flow wheel (very tight).
    Verdict 6/10

Try something else...!