Put my 29er on a diet or just go carbon

burglarboycie
burglarboycie Posts: 200
edited June 2014 in MTB general
Hi all
I have a 2014 Cube ltd sl 29er which I adore but its a little on the weighty side for my liking.
According to Cube, it comes out at 12.3kg, I know i'm never going to get it down to 10kg or anything like that, but perhaps shedding a kilo would be nice.
My question really is, is it worth it on an alloy frame? I love the geometry of the ltd and would really like a reaction gtc from Cube but that's not going to happen any time soon. I could sell the frame and a few other bits and go for a Chinese carbon frame, or an On One Lurcher but that seems stupid as i like the way it rides. I had thought along the lines of a pair of carbon rims from Light Bicycle and some tubeless ready tyres, carbon bars and seatpost and maybe swap the brakes for some XTs or something lighter.
What are peoples opinions?
Thanks
James

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Can you post a spec of your bike as it is?
    No one can tell you the best way to loose weight without knowing what you have.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    ^^ this

You'll easily get it to 10kg too if you spend enough.
  • I guess that would help . . . .. .
    http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/mtb-hardtail/ltd/ltd-sl-29/
    Thats a link the the bike on the Cube site. I think I wouldn't bother going carbon on the rims, just go for a pair of Stans Crest rims and use the Sun Ringle hubs I already have. Think I will go clipless soon too.
    James
  • njee20
    Trouble with that is you have some rims and spokes with no residual value. I'd sooner sell your wheels and buy some Light Bicycle ones on hubs of your choice, or a fresh build on Crests at least.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Good quality carbon bars, seatpost and stem will loose a reasonable weight.
  • I will be going for a set of Mt Zoom carbon bars (118g) with a KCNC stem (probably the arrow as I could run it with more drop than the wing stem) and a KCNC Scandium seatpost.
    Will probably change the disc rotors soon too, I think the standard Shimano ones are pretty ugly to be honest!!
    njee20 wrote:
    Trouble with that is you have some rims and spokes with no residual value. I'd sooner sell your wheels and buy some Light Bicycle ones on hubs of your choice, or a fresh build on Crests at least.

This is a nice idea, but the hubs I have seem pretty good, and not having too buy a full new wheelset should save me a few quid.
    I will opt for Schwalbe Thunder Burts I reckon when it goes tubeless.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Will you actually save any money once you pay for new rims, spokes, nipples and build?
  • njee20
    Aye, that's my point, spokes and rims are expensive. Price difference may be negligible.

Good shout on the cockpit. I've got the 117g 710mm Mt Zoom bars. They're good.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fairly detailed post on my sub 10Kg build in my sig, while my 26" wheels are tyres will be inherently lighter than 29er, my wheels are actually fairly lardy.

Cockpit is a good way to save weight and some decent used bits are appearing more often now, also some fairly light and fairly cheap parts can be got from the far east now, buy with care though!

As above, I wouldn't rebuild the wheels, simple not worth it compared to buying new (or new to you) and having a decent set to sell, caveat would be if you can get lightweight rims with the same ERD and rebuild yourself as I did, in which case I saved 250g for £25 (and sold the old rims for £9 so net cost was £16).

Going 1x is a good way to save 1/2 Kg ish quite cheaply!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks guys
    The cockpit upgrades should be feasible in the near(ish) future but the wheels will have to wait a while.
  • njee20
    If of any interest I've got some Mt Zoom 660mm low riser bars, an unused Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon 680mm flat bar and a 100mm New Ultimate stem sitting about which I need to sell.