Running Ardents or Racing Ralphs tubeless

notax
notax Posts: 138
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
When I had my Bronson built I went tubeless for the first time and had tubeless High Rollers fitted and am also using Stans fluid. Now that summer is here I'm keen to fit a faster rolling and less heavy set up and considering the above two tyres. Do I need to buy tubeless or tubeless ready tyres or can I just buy standard lighter weight ones as I am using fluid anyway? I don't know if it is relevant, but I am running Syncros carbon rims. Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If set up correctly you should be able to use any Racing Ralph, be warned though they are known to have porous sidewalls and you sometimes have to store the wheel on it's side (both sides) to get the fluid to seal them....dont know about the Ardents.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Have used both, no problem with either... My favourite combo is HD on the front & ardent on the back, the ardent is a good balance between weight & rolling resistance and is reasonably tough.

The only thing I would say is the sidewalls on the ardent seem to show signs of wear relatively quickly, saying that they didn't leak though.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Ralphs have pitiful cut resistance I have found - so not great for tubeless. I would consider the Ardent race. In EXO/TR version these are mint tubeless, and faster than an ardent, but still grippy in the current conditions.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I've had ordinary and proper LUST Ardents tubeless and there wasn't much in it. The ordinary ones are light for a reason though. I'd go with the EXO TR version if you ride in a vaguely rocky area.
  • notax
    notax Posts: 138
    Thanks guys, out of interest what is the HD Pilch refers to? Does he mean High Roller?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Mounted an Ardent on a Mavic 719 rim but it took 3 layers of yellow tape and pumping till I saw stars. Fine now the rider hasnt had any problems in the last month.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Hd = hans dampf
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I'm running EXO Ardents (non tubeless ready) tubeless, no problems so far. One is 2.4 and went up with a track pump, one is 2.25 and didn't but might have just been unlucky with it
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • paladin
    paladin Posts: 10
    Currently got a non-tubeless ardent and minion on mavic 321 with 2 wraps of duct tape on the rims. Had to use a coke bottle to inflate them tho.