Stupid Question #2

Downhill Trail Rider
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Will a 2014 fox float 34 150mm tappered steerer fit my 2012 medium Santa Cruz heckler?

*tappered cut to 7 1/8 inches.
*27.5 or 650B

Sorry, I can't find the US version of this forum.

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Not if its for a 27.5/650b wheel as your bike is a 26" wheel, plus the 2012 Heckler didn't have a tapered headset. Its an all round fail for me.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Not if its for a 27.5/650b wheel as your bike is a 26" wheel, plus the 2012 Heckler didn't have a tapered headset. Its an all round fail for me.

Wow, I really screwed that one up.

If those forks won't fit, do you know which fox forks will?
  • paul.skibum
    Any 26" wheel, 150mm fork with a 1 1/8 non tapered steerer and an axle type that fits your wheel - You can get a Fox Float 34 that will fit for sure.
  • Any 26" wheel, 150mm fork with a 1 1/8 non tapered steerer and an axle type that fits your wheel - You can get a Fox Float 34 that will fit for sure.
    How do I know if the axle type fits my wheel? Is that the equivalent of them noting the 26" in the product details?
    I know that I need to look for: "150mm", "fox float 34", "1 1/8 steerer" (non tapered), "26 inch"
    Is there anything else I should look at?
    My wheels are 26x2.35 Highroller
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    If you're buying a used fork you also need to make sure the steerer is long enough for (the headtube of) your frame.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How do I know if the axle type fits my wheel?
    Look at wheel, determine axle type, buy appropriate fork......
    9mm QR, 9mm through axle, 15mm through axle or 20mm through axle are the main options....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If you're buying a used fork you also need to make sure the steerer is long enough for (the headtube of) your frame.
    I'm ok with buying new. Though I'm having a lot of trouble finding 26" non tapered fox shox.
    Here are my heckler's specs (scroll to bottom):
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/santa-cruz-bicycles-heckler-mountain-bike-x9-am-build-kit
  • The Rookie wrote:
    9mm QR, 9mm through axle, 15mm through axle or 20mm through axle are the main options....
    I can't find that in the specs for the bike. Wheel says 26x2.35 (in inches).
    The specs are here (scroll down):
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/santa-cruz-bicycles-heckler-mountain-bike-x9-am-build-kit
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:
    Read what I wrote, emphasis added. However an M525 hub will be 9mm QR
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Your tyre is 26x2.35, not the wheel.

Key details of wheel are size (26"), and axle type (9mm qr according to rookie)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do the sensible thing and fit Rockshox.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    2012 Fox forks are rubbish. Unreliable, flexy and badly damped.
    Get a set of Rockshox Revelations or Sektors.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    yep, get rock shox.
  • cooldad
    Nope
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Read what I wrote, emphasis added. However an M525 hub will be 9mm QR
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Unless it's not QR.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    That has a 15mm through axle, when you remove your front wheel do you remove a 15mm thick axle like that to get it out?
  • The Rookie wrote:
    That has a 15mm through axle, when you remove your front wheel do you remove a 15mm thick axle like that to get it out?
    I have 9mmQR (M525 hub), but can't I just swap out the front wheel for a 15mm compatible one?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes, but at no point have you said you're prepared to swap the wheel if necessary.
  • rockmonkeysc

If you change the front wheel then yes they will. They flex like a wet noodle though and are very expensive for what they are. A Rockshox Revelation or Pike will be much better (stiffer, better damped, more reliable) for less money.
  • paul.skibum
    Why are you obsessed with Fox forks?

If you are willing to swap your front wheel out (not too cheap but a decent idea) you have a huge array of forks available to you. I have always been a Rockshox fan and having just got a bike with Fox (albeit low OEM ones) on a bike I havent changed my view.

A 150mm Revelation or Sektor would be a better option and cheaper.
  • Why are you obsessed with Fox forks?

If you are willing to swap your front wheel out (not too cheap but a decent idea) you have a huge array of forks available to you. I have always been a Rockshox fan and having just got a bike with Fox (albeit low OEM ones) on a bike I havent changed my view.

Two questions:
    1) what is an example of a decent (middle of the road) 15QR wheel that I could throw on there? I don't know much about the wheel brands.
    2) If I did switch out the front wheel, would these fit:
    http://bit.ly/1p1SFNe
  • The Rookie
    Yes, but you never mentioned being willing to buy a new front wheel as well!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Why are you obsessed with Fox forks?

Two questions:
    1) what is an example of a decent (middle of the road) 15QR wheel that I could throw on there? I don't know much about the wheel brands.
    2) If I did switch out the front wheel, would these fit:
    http://bit.ly/1p1SFNe

They will fit (if the steerer is long enough) but **** me they're expensive! As mentioned before they are horrible flexy things and 2013/2014 models are very unreliable and badly made. For that price you should be able to get much better Rockshox Revelations new