Advice needed on new bike

Braythor
Braythor Posts: 13
edited July 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi all.

I'd never really done any proper mountain biking, then a friend took me up Gisburn Forest red route recently, on a borrowed bike, and I loved every single minute of it, even though it was hammering down with rain (in fact, that kind of made it more fun). So much did I enjoy it that I'm looking to get into it and thus obviously need a bike.

After a lot of research, I'd pretty much singled out the Calibre two two as ideal for my needs and budget. So I went into the local Go Outdoors and of course they were out of stock. However they did have the Calibre 50 in, and they've promised to knock £100 off it for me (so it'd be just under £500). This really stretches my budget past the £400 I was looking at, but I can just about manage it. So of course the question is, should I go for it, or wait until (if ever) the two two is back in stock, or does anyone have other recommendations (the Rockrider 8.1 looks good, but I really can't stretch another 60 quid)? Any help would of course be greatly appreciated, thank you (almost forgot my manners there!).

Comments

• Cool dad is spot on (as always,a valuable BR guru)...Had the Bantu myself fantastic entry level bike!!!
    Still can't wheelie :(
  • Braythor
    Thank you both for the input. Still not made a decision, but that's fine - I want to be happy with whatever I get.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just make sure the forks have a hydraulic damper, without ruins ride....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • flashpaul
    flashpaul Posts: 5
    I would be looking at second hand bikes

£400 or £500 will get you last years £1000 bike

Rivington MTB group on facebook has some good bikes on at the moment
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    flashpaul wrote:

Not sure I believe this claim - can you provide some links to back this up?
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    IDave wrote:
    flashpaul wrote:

I bought a late 2012 Trek 6300D (retail £900) for £350 at Christmas 2013. There were plenty similar offerings on PB/eBay.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As an indication HMRC estimate a £1K bike at a year old is worth 50% of it's original selling price, that for ride to work, mountain bikes tend to be worth a bit less as they take more of a hammering in use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    If it's your first bike I would just buy brand new.
    You want to ride hassle free imo, you could be buying other peoples problems.

As for "last years", yeah that pretty much goes for anything. I've seen forks go from £300 down to £100 just because it is a 2013 model...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Cookeh wrote:
    IDave wrote:
    flashpaul wrote:

I bought a late 2012 Trek 6300D (retail £900) for £350 at Christmas 2013. There were plenty similar offerings on PB/eBay.

Another example is 2013 Carve's. Retail at £1200 or more for the higher models, £500 to £600 on eBay second hand.
  • Braythor
    Thanks again for the input, everyone. As nice as the Voodoos look, I've had...issues with Halfords in the past, which may not sound like justification for not buying one, but it's enough to put me off. Wasn't going to go second hand as I just don't know enough about bikes to guarantee getting a good deal. So I bought the Calibre 50 in the end, and having had it out a couple of times now, it's clearly capable of far more than I am, so I'm very happy with it.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    IDave wrote:
    flashpaul wrote:

I bought my Trek Session for 50% less a year after it was released
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    IDave wrote:
    flashpaul wrote:

At what point in time was a Trek Session a £1000 bike?
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    I bought a stumpjumper fsr comp 2010 for £600 last year cracking bike for the money!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    IDave wrote:
    flashpaul wrote:

Downhill bikes depreciate faster than any other bikes because they are so expensive new and get a harder life than any other bikes.
    Sessions aren't a popular used choice because of the ultra thin down tube so they go pretty cheap.