GIANT NRS - My First Ever Full Build Project!

scatty76
scatty76 Posts: 23
edited August 2016 in Your mountain bikes
GIANT NRS (2003)
Sorry about quality! (proper detailed pics to follow)

14410725732_d91e015c91_b.jpg

14408655801_4f58a476a7_b.jpg

This is the first build I have ever done, and I'm pretty pleased to say the least!

Frame: Giant NRS (Yr.2003)
Forks: Marzocchi 44 TST2 AIR 130mm

Bars: Crank Brothers IODINE 2 AM Riser Bars
Stem: Kore Rivera
Headset: FSA Orbit Z (36/45 ACB)
Grips: Shimano PRO FRS double lockring
Bar Ends: ^^ Part of grip lockrings...

Front Brake Lever: Avid Speed Dial 7
Front Caliper: Avid BB7 Mech. Disc
Front disc: Ashima AiRotor 160mm

Rear Brake Lever: Avid Speed Dial 7
Rear Caliper: Avid BB7 Mech. Disc
Rear Disc: Ashima AiRotor 160mm
Cables: Jagwire Mountain Pro (RIPCORD) Gold Braid Full Length Outers

Shifters: Shimano XT
Cables: Jagwire Mountain Pro (RIPCORD) Gold Braid Full Length Outers
Front Mech: Shimano XT
Rear Mech: Shimano XT (Low Normal/Rapid Rise - get over it! :P )

Seat: Charge Spoon (Chromo Rails)
Seat Post: Easton EA 30
Seat Post Clamp: GUB QR

Cranks: Shimano Deore Hollowtech II (Onza Alloy Torx bolts)
Chain: KMC X9 SL (Gold)
Cassette: Shimano SLX 9 Speed (11-34t)
Pedals: AEST Alloy (142g)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Saint HT II

Front Wheel: Shimano MT65 Factory
Tire: Maxxis Crossmark 2.25 LUST

Rear Wheel: Shimano MT65 Factory
Tire: Maxxis Crossmark 2.25 LUST

Weight: Not got a clue...

Other info: Middleburn Cable Oilers
Halo Hex-Skewers
Gold Anodised Suspension Linkages / Brake Adaptor / D19 Mech Hanger

Took about a year(was really in no hurry, most of the time was researching the frame as there are no GIANT docs on the NRS anymore :( ), and with A LOT of searching and help on the BR Workshop Forum, Thanks Peeps! :)

The ride is better than I imagined (Actually its friggin' awesome!). Yes, the front fork has a bit too much travel for the geometry of the frame, but again it rides much better than I thought it would and I think I may just keep it this way...Haven't got a clue as to weight, it's NOT heavy and not weight-weenie light either, but I did not build it with that intention.

This is how it looked when I bought it off flea-bay...

14225393728_a957f52ff5.jpg

Stripped+Sprayed it(had some stuff anodised too).
Drilled cable stops for full outers(So glad I did!)
Replaced ALL bearings, also converted the Horst link from bushings to full bearings.
Full service/re-build on the shock as there hard to get.
Get the forks second hand(16hrs on them and only £90!).
Built up the rest from brand new parts.

I totally love the NRS suspension set up with NO SAG. No bob, and surprisingly takes ALL the hits very well!
I have wanted one of these since they first came out(2000??) and I've not been disappointed...

Not too shabby for an 11 year old frame! ;)
Hope you like it...
Your comments/critique are welcome!! (God help me! :twisted: )

Sorry about quality! (proper detailed pics to follow)

Comments

• wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 294
    Great effort, but with those colours it looks a bit of a marmite bike

Bit too bling for me
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    It is rather bling but maybe he iz a gangsta :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    Looks pretty pimp, but cable discs? Bike deserves better ;)
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    I like the colour scheme , it looks like a brand new bike.

How did was the fork coloured to match?
  • scatty76
    scatty76 Posts: 23
    Yep, I is a two-wheeled gangsta with a damn'd pimp MTB!! I really have to take some proper pics(2moz hopefully) as they really don't do it justice. They BB7 brakes really are a lot better than you may expect from a mech disc. Although you might get slightly more power and less faf with hydros(it's not really that noticeable TBH), for me and the type of riding I do they have more than enough stopping power even with dinky 160mm rotors. I decided on them over hydros just because I like the adjustability with the speed dial levers that you don't get with a set of hydros without bleeding etc. As for the fork, I got it second hand of ebay without having any decals. Its not been sprayed, I just applied new `Bomber` decals and clear coated over them. It was already a perfect match! Marmite? I have it for breakfast everyday! Thanks for the comments!! :)
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    I like everything except for the gold bits ;)

Good bikes though! Wouldnt put those forks on it though, 100mm would be absolute max to get the best ride out of it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    scatty76 wrote:
    I decided on them over hydros just because I like the adjustability with the speed dial levers that you don't get with a set of hydros without bleeding etc.
    You get adjustability on hydraulic levers and there is no need to bleed them when adjusting, a lot lighter than cable disc (especially the BB's which are a heavy caliper) set up as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Great Build!! I recently upgraded my NRS3 which I bought in '03 to disc brakes and all XT components. The fork and shock will be next. I'd like to know what bearings you used and where did you get them from?

On a side note; I did a similar build on a Giant OCR Touring frame a few years ago. At the time, it was one of the very few road frames with disc brake tabs.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    This thread is over 2 years old and the OP hasn't posted anything since June 2014. I doubt you'll get a reply.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009