One month on

funkyg
funkyg Posts: 68
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
It's true what everyone says. Just get out and ride. My ride times are getting quicker, and I'm going longer every time.
When I first started a month ago the hills were killing me. I have a triple chain ring and going up certain hills I had to drop to the small chain ring every time. On my last ride I was made up that I could climb on the middle chain ring, didn't use the small one at all the entire ride.
This may seem like something small, but to me it was a big deal. It's a sign that I'm getting better!
I still get overtaken sometimes but I don't care (Well, maybe I do!), I can see an improvement.

At what point does a beginner stop being a beginner? I know I'm still a beginner.
GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
Ridley R6 EL

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    It's just an arbitrary label really and anyone's opinion of what constitutes a beginner is going to be based on their own level of experience. Who cares?
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    funkyg wrote:
    It's true what everyone says. Just get out and ride. My ride times are getting quicker, and I'm going longer every time.
    When I first started a month ago the hills were killing me. I have a triple chain ring and going up certain hills I had to drop to the small chain ring every time. On my last ride I was made up that I could climb on the middle chain ring, didn't use the small one at all the entire ride.
    This may seem like something small, but to me it was a big deal. It's a sign that I'm getting better!
    I still get overtaken sometimes but I don't care (Well, maybe I do!), I can see an improvement.

At what point does a beginner stop being a beginner? I know I'm still a beginner.

Beginner's shouldn't be judged by their performance but by their experience.

I've been riding for over 15 years, some days I use the granny ring to climb even the easiest of hills I've climbed hundreds of times before ;)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    funkyg wrote:
    Well done on getting stronger, but don't worry about dropping into smaller gears to keep up a reasonably fast cadence. It's better for fitness to spin up hills in low gears than grind up in bigger gears just because you can. You'll tire yourself out more if you're grinding in big gears.