TREK 4300 (2011) Maintenance queries

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
a friend of mine rides a 2011 Trek 4300, and needs a bit of help with some basic maintenance tasks, so I've offered to help out.

There's a couple of things I'm trying to get information on, so we can get all the bits together in advance:

1. The fork is a Spinner 300, and has 30mm stanchions - it needs new dust wipers, but I can't find any specific to Spinner forks. Is it a fair bet that 30mm Rockshox ones will fit?

2. The headset is a semi-integrated jobby, and has an FSA-branded top-cover, but it has no other visible identifying marks - does anyone happen to know what model they used on this bike? (the usual sources, like the trek website, bikepedia, etc aren't any help)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    1: Impossible to say I am afraid, almost certainly not.

2: If you need to replace bearings, simply identify the code if a cartridge, or replace the loose balls.
  • jimothy78
    supersonic wrote:
    1: Impossible to say I am afraid, almost certainly not.

Thought that might be the case :( - will try a good clean and re-lube and see how that goes.
    2: If you need to replace bearings, simply identify the code if a cartridge, or replace the loose balls.

Yeah, but trying to identify it before we take it all apart, so we can have appropriate parts ready to go straight in first time.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only takes a few minutes to drop the forks and have a look though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    cooldad wrote:
    Only takes a few minutes to drop the forks and have a look though.

Yeah, but he's gonna come round especially to use my workshop and tools, as he's pretty new to the whole maintenance thing, so if we can do it all in one go, so much the better. It's no biggie, obviously, but it occured to me that someone on here might have the same bike and already know which FSA headset it was, that's all.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    And if you take it apart, clean and regrease, it might work just fine. Need to inspect it first.

many FSA headsets are unnamed.
  • jimothy78
    supersonic wrote:
    And if you take it apart, clean and regrease, it might work just fine.

LOL - that's a big "might" - as far as I can ascertain, the bike's had no maintenance done on it other than a quick hose down every so often.