Getting Home routine?

mrkev83
mrkev83 Posts: 184
edited June 2014 in Commuting general
I've heard different things. What do guys do on arriving Home after a commute? Rinse down and and cover in ptfe spray? Wash n dry and lube? Abandon till end of the week.

I know It's all about the prep so plan is to pack bag night before so I can clean my teeth, eat and go. It's the getting Home routine I'm interested in
http://www.strava.com/athletes/mrkev83

Built for comfort... Not for speed

Comments

• ravenvrider
    ravenvrider Posts: 198
    Take clothes off and cool down.
    Mix up sis rego and sit at pc.
    Check my Strava times and drink rego.
    Bath, relax.
    Play with my son.
    Have dinner.................oh you ment the bike...nothing, leave till weekend, clean and oil chain, check tire pressures..job done.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Plus 1 except i dont play with my son as he is 17 ...
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Put bike away, say hi to my son and partner then start sweating profusely. For some reason I start getting hot then sweat a lot 5 minutes after I stop cycling. I think that's because I'm not very fit. Looking after the bike is relegated to when I get a minute. That's at weekend or month or longer down the line.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Depends - this evening the bikes got a wash down as the roads were wet ... If not then they just get put away ...
  • Squawk
    Squawk Posts: 132
    Lock it up, leave it. Think about cleaning it, decide it'll only get dirty again. do nothing.

There is a part of me that would love to spend the time making my bike clean and shiny new every day. There is a more rational part of my brain that says if I do that for 10 mins every day I spend the equivalent of a full working week every year just cleaning the bike post ride.

Chain gets cleaned every few weeks. Bike gets cleaned every couple of months. I can't abide noise when riding, so the drive chain is fully lubed and maintained.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Bath, relax.
    Play with my son.
    Have dinner.................oh you ment the bike...nothing, leave till weekend, clean and oil chain, check tire pressures..job done.
    This except I use Zipvit's recovery drink and my son's is my daughter
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Bath, relax.
    Play with my son.

Just to check, do these things happen whilst naked?

www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    How long are people cycling home from work that they need a recovery drink?

I get in, put bike in garage, remove helmet/gloves/shoes/rucksack, play with baby and put him to bed (45 mins), remove cycling gear, shower. If no immediate issues with bike it is ignored.

I do any bike work at the weekend and top up the tyres on Wednesday morning.

If the rain was really bad or the roads very muddy, I'll spend under a minute wiping the bike down with paper towels and spray the chain cassette with wd40/gt85 and maybe lube it in the morning.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    20 mile ride home for me so stick bike in garage then wander around the kitchen eating and drinking anything I can get my hands on whilst fighting the urge to tell the missus about the two (on average) lunatics who nearly killed me
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Nearly 40 miles for me, on top of the 40 ish miles there hence I don't do it often (planning on this Thursday).

When I get home (after 8) I'll get some food on the go then sit on the sofa in a semi-comatozed state. The bike gets left alone.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • twoshots
    twoshots Posts: 58
    I envy anyone who has time to download data after a commute! Usually my cool down is glugging water in the kitchen whilst being told why cycling home (which takes longer than driving) is causing bedtime routine difficulties and it is all my fault. After that it's my job to get my daughter to sleep. Then I get some food.

The bike gets a wash if I can be bothered at the weekend. Throw a bit of chain oil at it randomly, usually in time for a long ride on a Monday evening.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    What a palava some of you make of it.

21 miles; roll up, put the bike away. Walk into kitchen and have stand-offish wife-greeting due to sweat (me not her) then sit down & have the quick how's your day been chat & maybe a swig of water or a cup of tea if she's making one. Greet kids if they're about but they probably aren't, sit down for a bit to check emails, Twotter, Telegraph etc then quick shower, dress & tea. Later on I'll put the PC on & upload the ride and peer at it for a bit and that's it.

Bike maintenance is as & when - they don't go wrong much and rarely need much more than a clean & lube and a bit of air. That's a weekend job.

Last thing at night if I'm biking in I'll put out what I need; cash, keys, phone, Garmin, door swipe & empty bottle. Job done.
  • mrkev83
    mrkev83 Posts: 184
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Did my first 12 miles on my new road bike today. Loved it

My routine will probably be quick wipe down if needed and lube once a week...20 mile commute each way . initially half of which will be on the back of the car
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/mrkev83

Built for comfort... Not for speed
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    My routine includes obsessively checking my bike computer for speed and elapsed time. I know where I should be at a particular time and from my speed at that point if I'm running well or if I'm running tired. That obsessiveness means on b a bad run I'll either go slow or I'll push myself too hard to keep on pace.
    I'll get home and immediately take computer off so it stops and I check the stats. Then bike away, shoes off and greet my toddler son. Then a coffee and relax. I leave getting ready til the morning when I rush around. Maintenance is as and when needed.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I tend to take off my top outside the kitchen window to remind my wife (as she's cooking or making a cuppa) what an absolute bell-end I am. I then chase her round the kitchen to get a cuddle that she doesn't want cos I'm sweaty. Then I have a shower, sometimes with a cup of tea in the shower.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    Arrive home, dump bike in hallway, quick shower, dinner, kids bedtime.

Zero maintenance of any sort until it gets its regular service.

I never wash my commuter - I feel like it's that little bit safer sitting outside the office if it's filthy and horrible.
  • SlipSpace
    SlipSpace Posts: 46
    Put bike away, say hi to my son and partner then start sweating profusely. For some reason I start getting hot then sweat a lot 5 minutes after I stop cycling. I think that's because I'm not very fit. Looking after the bike is relegated to when I get a minute. That's at weekend or month or longer down the line.

Similiar to this. I am quite fit and put the sweating thing down to loss of air flow and the cooling effect from riding
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get home, take off anything extra down to t-shirt and baggies to reduce sweating (mitts and helmet in summer, plus softshell in winter), put bike away, get in and say hi to the wife, feed the cats and then make a cup of tea for self and the wife (and the son if he's on early shift), then give the wife a hug as i'm usually dried off from sweaty by then.

When I'm riding the airflow keeps me cool and I do get very sweaty once that cooling is removed unless I strip back to the minimum (socially acceptable) as soon as I stop.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.