Fan or Aircon Unit for Turbo Sessions

cougie
cougie Posts: 22,512
I think I know the answer to this already - but worth asking.

I had a great winter training on trainerroad in the garage - fan on - and that set me up for the season.

Since the weather has improved - I've not been keen on going into a fairly warm garage - but I need to start again shortly.

My fan was fine for winter - but for summer I'll be very warm.

I've seen you can get portable aircon units for about £100 - I can't imagine they're very effective though at that price ?

Worth looking at - or should I just get an extra fan ?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    when i go for my annual check they put me on a bike and point an aircon unit at me (which i'm sure costs way more than 100 quid), the air is cold, but from experience i can tell you that it doesn't help

for good cooling you need decent air volume over your whole body

just get a big powerful fan

big_fan.jpg
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I've not seen them in B&Q which aisle are they on?
  • Just bought this fan. Its a beast for the money.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/18-high-velocity-floor-fan-chrome/54056

Not quite in Sungod's league though :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • cougie
    Thanks - that fan always gets mentioned. I've a standing up fan - but its just not going to hack it in the summer. £40 looks a good deal !
  • Just bought this fan. Its a beast for the money.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/18-high-velocity-floor-fan-chrome/54056

Not quite in Sungod's league though :D

Mine arrived today. Creates some breeze!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • dread_i1
    dread_i1 Posts: 178
    Another vote for the screwfix fan. Got one lasts year and it has been really good, you will probably need some larger speakers though as it's a bit load on full bore!
  • cougie
    At this rate I'll need a sound proofed air conditioned room for this.

Hmm - was it Rocky who worked out in the freezer at the meat supplier. I could just install my turbo in there - soundproof and cool ! With bacon in easy reach.
  • I don't find it overly loud.
    Sure it is louder than the pedestal but its in proportion to the extra air circulation.
    The motor itself is quiet enough.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    And dont forget, any fan works better if you position it behind you rather than out infront....
  • cougie
    Of course - a tailwind. You're a genius !
  • cougie wrote:
    Of course - a tailwind. You're a genius !

:lol:
  • Gedinasay
    Gedinasay Posts: 1
    edited July 2021
    My friends got me a special A/C for my bike since I always complained about how my fan wasn't working. It's actually more clever than it sounds. I'm now using an EntroSys Motorcycle Air Conditioning system, and it's fantastic. I think they got it from https://socool.sg/why-is-your-aircon-leaking-or-dripping-water/. It was invented by a guy who found inspiration one hot summer day in the form of a sweaty biker acquaintance. It's relatively small, lightweight, and energy-efficient, so it's perfect for my bike. Do you guys have any suggestions on other aircon?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    This may sound silly but as the weather is now nice why don't you ride your bicycle outside and enjoy the summer and save sitting inside for the winter?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    MattFalle said:

This may sound silly but as the weather is now nice why don't you ride your bicycle outside and enjoy the summer and save sitting inside for the winter?

As in turbo in the garden? ;):D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Both. Outside temps of 32-36degrees. I set the AC to 23-25 degrees and then use a basic floor fan to blow the air at me. I leave the bedroom door open so the ac air is circulated to the living/kitchen/dining area too.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited July 2021

MattFalle said:

As in turbo in the garden? ;):D
    nah. don't be a lemon. its a road bike, so he'll crash.

driveway.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Could open the garage door and let the breeze, light wind, strong wind, hurricane in depending on the wind strength on a given day.

I have never been on a trainer but one thing I do know from being an outdoor cyclist, there is always wind!
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    You can always try propping up those sandwich bag cooler blocks in front of/behind the fan to chill the air being blown.