Bike for larger person

cireland
cireland Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi

Wondering if anyone can help.

I am looking for a bike, but not just any bike it needs to be a bike that is suitable for a heavier load, probably around 400 or just under pounds. And I am 6ft.

I used to Cycle a lot when I was younger and I want to pick it back up, going to the gym and sitting on a cycle bike there for an hour just does not do it for me…

I am finding it hard to find information in the UK on bikes for larger people, seems to be endless options in the USA but over here I am struggling, does anyone have any advice on what to look for or perhaps actual bikes in mind?

Your help is appreciated

Thanks
Cireland

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any semi decent mountain bike will take the weight, ideally with air forks so you can get the sag sensible, at 6 foot either a medium or large frame will suite.

Google the '39 stone cyclist' and read Gary's story for some pointers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    As The Rookie says, most decent bikes will be OK. I was over 150kg when I started cycling again (which is a bit less than you) but I had no issues with the bike related to my weight (Trek 4500), other than having to tighten the seatpost a little more than I would like to normally.

It'll soon drop off.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The Rookie wrote:
    Any semi decent mountain bike will take the weight, ideally with air forks so you can get the sag sensible, at 6 foot either a medium or large frame will suite.

Google the '39 stone cyclist' and read Gary's story for some pointers.

What's his username on here? you could PM him.

BTW I tried searching but got an error, search function is FUBAR at the moment.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He's not on here as that. You did see 'Google'?
    http://39stonecyclist.com/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    He posts (or at least posted) on here, but as search is broken along with PM and control panel, I didn't bother looking, hence Google (or Yahoo).....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.