Most important component

Rad2474
Rad2474 Posts: 162
edited June 2014 in MTB general
Was riding at Hamsterley yesterday and had a little bit of a think when i got to the bottom of Transmission,Accelerator,Nitrous. Now i know i'm faster on my fs than i was on the hardtail and i was thinking is it because it's got better suspension and handles better which makes me go faster? But my hardtail wasn't slow,bit more bouncy though. I decided it's my slx brakes that i think are the single most important component as i just know they'll do the job and i can brake later and harder with them. ( especially compared to the avoids i replaced with them).What would you say is your bikes single most important component?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The rider.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The rider.

Silly answer. Predictable, too.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    A good rider can work with rubbish components and still ride fast. A rubbish rider will still be slow on the best bike in the world.
    The rider makes more difference than any component.
    The single most important bicycle part is the frame. All the bikes biggest characteristics come from geometry and rear suspension design.
    Things like fork, shock and brakes are only as good as the person who sets them up.
  • Angus Young
    A good rider can work with rubbish components and still ride fast. A rubbish rider will still be slow on the best bike in the world.
    The single most important bicycle part is the frame. All the bikes biggest characteristics come from geometry and rear suspension design.
    Things like fork, shock and brakes are only as good as the person who sets them up.

The rider is not a component. It's a ... er... rider.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Valve cap (red).
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc

The rider could definitely be considered a component, a part, a tool. In your case, definitely a tool.
  • Angus Young

The rider could definitely be considered a component, a part, a tool. In your case, definitely a tool.

Nope. The rider is not a component. Don't be a tool.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So the best way for me to improve my bike is get someone else to ride it?

Brilliant.

Not.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Front tyre
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    So the best way for me to improve my bike is get someone else to ride it?

That would definitely help in my case.
  • FishFish
    Fire Extinguisher.

• FishFish
    Gramaphone.

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    having just swapped out the (sh1tty) Elixir R's on the Session for a spanking set of 4-pot Zee's I'd be inclined to agree with the OP and say brakes...on a DH bike at least.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Well dialled suspension

IMO crap dampers can ruin a brilliant frame

Probably followed closely by brakes
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Tyres - good brakes do nothing if the tyres dont grip, good suspension is useless if the tyres dont grip, good rider is always going to struggle with bad tyres.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Angus Young
    Tyres - good brakes do nothing if the tyres dont grip, good suspension is useless if the tyres dont grip, good rider is always going to struggle with bad tyres.

On the other hand...

Good tyres won't help much when your brakes don't stop you, good tyres won't grip if the suspension isn't keeping them in contact with the ground and you'd probably be faster than me any day, any place even if I was on a SC 5010C and you were on something you'd dragged out of a skip.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068

On the other hand...

Good tyres won't help much when your brakes don't stop you, good tyres won't grip if the suspension isn't keeping them in contact with the ground and you'd probably be faster than me any day, any place even if I was on a SC 5010C and you were on something you'd dragged out of a skip.

Its a bit chicken and egg isnt it? brakes need tyres, tyres need brakes - suspension you can do without possibly (assuming you are a hippy of some sort)
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Angus Young
    It's a bit chicken and egg, isn't it?

That's what makes it interesting.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its a bit chicken and egg isnt it?
    Why does the poor Cockerel always get left out, he came first when he laid the chicken.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    It's a bit chicken and egg, isn't it?

That's what makes it interesting.

No, it's dull.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I don't think he was referring to this thread, but what makes MTB interesting for him - how it all links together.
  • Angus Young
    but what makes MTB interesting for him - how it all links together.

^ Yes, this.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    A proper well fitting comfy saddle. You cant ride if your backside feels like its on fire.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    stubs wrote:
    A proper well fitting comfy saddle. You cant ride if your backside feels like its on fire.

I agree with this sad person ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    The product can not work without the sum of its parts, same as a car and so therefore there isn't a single 'main' component.

One is pretty much nothing without the other, ergo discussion is dull. ;)
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    I dont think theres a single Best Component, just get a collection of reasonably good components on a good frame, Now I'll throw my Kona Unit into the ring here, you look at it and theres not much going on there, most people dont get it, yet it handles so well due to great geometry, however the mechanical brakes were horrible so I threw on hydraulic ones instead, that was like geting a get out of jail free card, and once it went tubeless it was better and now that it has a carbon handlebar its just awesome. So a few small changes and your bike will rock- well only if it is worth upgrading from the beggining....
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Briggo wrote:
    The product can not work without the sum of its parts, same as a car and so therefore there isn't a single 'main' component.

+1, apart from the dull bit. Besides, if it's so dull why are you here? :wink: plus I think he was talking about the relationship between components, which isn't really dull - if you like bikes
  • Briggo
    Briggo wrote:

+1, apart from the dull bit. Besides, if it's so dull why are you here? :wink: plus I think he was talking about the relationship between components, which isn't really dull - if you like bikes

To make the conversation even duller.
  • Angus Young
    Briggo wrote:
    To make the conversation even duller.

Well done, it's working.