Marmotte Estimated Section Times

hypster
hypster Posts: 1,229
I'm doing the Marmotte with 5 mates in a few weeks time and have been trying to compile some target times to qualify for a medal for a series of sections for each rider based on the section distances. Here are the main section distances that I have copied from a reference on the web:

Glandon Base: 13km
Glandon Top: 23km
Telegraphe Base: 42km
Telegraphe Top: 12km
Valloire: 5km
Galibier Top: 18km
AdH Base: 48km
Finish: 13km

The one thing I am uncertain about is the fact that the Glandon descent time is not included in the medal timings. If the Glandon descent is approx 20km then that means from the bottom of the Glandon descent to the foot of the Telegraphe is about 22km. Presumably the medal timings have been adjusted since the descent has been taken out of the medal calculations.

I just wanted to confirm that my interpretation of things is correct. That effectively it is only the 22km or so from the bottom of the Glandon descent to the foot of the Telegraphe that I should use in my calculations. Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Yep you are correct. Your certificate will show your total and neutralised time.

Just be careful on the Glandon descent and hold your line. Other riders will try to cut you off on the corners when passing so be careful and fackoff roared in loud voice is universal in all languages.

I found the Marmotte pretty manic until the Telegraph and all pent up energies had dissipated.

Have a good day - it was my best day on a bike and that's saying something.
    Brian B.
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    As Brian says.
    I'll just add that the feed stop at the top of the Glandon is just over the timing map so take your time and load up. Eat and drink on the way down and stop just before timing restarts in the village (St Etienne de Cuines as I recall) to relieve yourself, take off your wind jacket etc.

I would also take issue with the suggestion that other riders will "try cut you off on the corners". Other riders will try to pass you wherever they can. And they won't care where you are on the road or which side they pass. So please try to keep over to the right, be aware of what's coming down behind you and don't swing out on the entry to the corner to take the racing line.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Whilst it's interesting to have a rough idea of whether you are on target too much depends on what kind of group you drop into. Get stuck on your own on the Maurienne valley or coming off the Galibier into a headwind and making the time you think you shold will be infinitely harder than if you are getting towed along by a couple of dozen others.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    Echoing above comments, getting round with a good group of riders is key to a good Marmotte time. The lower your starting number is, the better the quality of riders, generally speaking. Get to the start early enough will mean you should be at the front of your designated starting pen (it's colour coded).

It's no holds barred from the gun, in a peloton.

The first 13km to the base of the Glandon is almost the pace of a typical crit race, lots of riders jostle for position so keep your eyes open.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Thanks for the helpful advice guys.
  • Rob Somerset
    Rob Somerset Posts: 127
    Like Hatone said, the pace to the start of the Glandon is incredible, considering you have a long day in front of you. I couldn't even make it onto the back of groups that were doing 25-30 mph. Theres a lot of top class riders in it (not me) who kept that effort up for the whole ride - awesome to see. Rob
    Hills do make I sweat a lot
  • I rode the Marmotte for the first time last year. It was an immense experience. The pace to the start of the Glandon was mental. I think I was at the foot of the Glandon in less than 15 minutes. Stupid mistake in hindsight and one I won't be repeating this year. I'm also going to attempt not to get stuck on the front through the valley to Col du telegraphe. Surely a chain of 6 foot dutch guys weren't getting much benefit from the wheel of a scrawny 5 1/2 foot Brit :roll:
  • KKB
    KKB Posts: 28
    Get stuck on your own on the Maurienne valley or coming off the Galibier into a headwind and making the time you think you shold will be infinitely harder than if you are getting towed along by a couple of dozen others.
    All the while NOT forgetting to do your turn on the front! :wink:
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    And to repeat the often mentioned advice, don't overcook your tyre pressures, 95PSI is fine, anything higher and you're likely to blow them when they overheat and expand on the descents. Plenty of people don't even make it to the start after they descend down from Alpe D'Huez because of this (how cruel is that), and the descent off the Glandon is worse.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Decent technique should mean that isn't a danger but yes it's best to be aware that dragging your brakes can lead to your tyres blowing off. Sticking a bit less air in is a good idea - I went for 100/105 front back which is 10psi less than I'd normally go for - avoiding loose fitting tyres has to be at least as important too.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    I was really amazed at how many blowouts I saw on the Alpe descent before the event. The descent off the Glandon was also just amazing. I think I saw a guy with a van sitting at the bottom of the steep section selling inner tubes, which looks like a good business opportunity.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    +1 on the tyre pressures. I ran my usual 100psi last year, but less than half way down the Glandon could feel they were rock solid under me. I pulled over and let some air out - didn't regret it for a second.

BTW, if you have a fancy headunit on your handlebars, take it off in the feed stations and carry it. Some fucker nicked my Joule at the base of the Telegraphe.

And remember that there is not much recovery between the Telegraph and the Galibier, and although the first section of the Galibier to Plan Lachat doesn't seem very steep compared to what you've already been up, it's very long and will grind the power out of your legs if you're overgeared on it.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A