Sodium replacement?

BMKN
BMKN Posts: 222
edited June 2014 in Track
Im trying to pay attention to my sodium levels as its warmer now. I generally weigh myself before and after a ride to measure sweat loss. Today I did a 3 hour ride and my sweat loss was 1.5lbs. How does that translate into the amount of sodium I need to replace? Ps my diet is crap and generally only consume about 1000mg per day. Im up to 1800 now.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Three hours on the track?? In any case, you should be getting sufficient sodium from a normal diet - no need to go raiding the condiments.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    Just drink a standard cycling energy drink, their whole point is that they are supposed to replace essential minerals as well as rehydrating. Losing 1.5lbs suggests you aren't drinking enough in any case.

Most people with a crap diet will be taking on too much sodium rather than not enough, it's hidden in virtually everything.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Just eat a balanced diet and drink fluids. Unless your doing 6 hour rides across the sahara you will be fine.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    BMKN wrote:
    Im trying to pay attention to my sodium levels as its warmer now. I generally weigh myself before and after a ride to measure sweat loss. Today I did a 3 hour ride and my sweat loss was 1.5lbs. How does that translate into the amount of sodium I need to replace? Ps my diet is crap and generally only consume about 1000mg per day. Im up to 1800 now.

How do you know your sweat loss from that 3 hour ride? Were you in some sort of suit to catch the evaporation?

If it was just from weight difference between before and after ride then sweat is not the only weight loss there. For example a typical fit endurance athlete might have maybe 250g of glycogen and that will come with maybe three times that amount of water - so simply consuming that could take out a kilo of body weight. Even if you're riding easier you're obviously consuming other sources of energy (the weight being lost in the CO2 breathed out.)

Equally the more you sweat, the saltier your body comes, not less salty, because sweat is less salty than other bodily fluids.

It's also pretty unlikely that sodium would be the first thing that you would be deficient in and I'm equally not sure what sort of crap diet you can have that is that limited in sodium but not even more deficient in other more important nutrients - what do you actually eat?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/