Not Another Mega TR... Update On Page 3

peter413
peter413 Posts: 5,120
edited February 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Finally Parcelforce delivered a nice big box this morning. Bloody typical that it's the first thing I ordered but the last thing to arrive :(

p4pb10756434.jpg

Betsy (the dog) was a bit confused when the wrong postman came to the door :lol:

Decided it was about time the Marin got replaced and since the Kinesis was cracked this seemed the perfect time to get the Mega. This means I'm down to only three bikes now and one of them is a road bike :shock:

Comments

• peter413
    Finally got it built. Were a few issues like the BB threads being full of shit so was pretty hard to install it. There was absolutely no grease in any of the pivots but luckily I always strip new frames down nowadays anyway. And then there was the cable guides. The ones on the down tube were a PITA to fit and the ones for the dropper just weren't really usable. I also ran out of red cable but that's not the fault of the frame.

There are some really nice things as well. For one it has to be one of the easiest frames I've ever serviced, everything is fully accessible and fits together properly. The shock size is also written underneath the frame which could save some googling for people.

p4pb10758477.jpg

Annoyingly because it took so long for the frame to be delivered I couldn't get to a bike shop to get the headset fitted so had to make something myself.

p4pb10758480.jpg

Bit of a dodgy pic, will get a better one tomorrow if I remember.

p4pb10758482.jpg

Full specs are:

Frame: Nukeproof Mega TR Large
    Rear Shock: Rockshox Monarch RT3
    Forks: Rockshox Revelation RCT3 2014
    Bars: Raceface Sixc
    Stem: Truvativ Holzfeller 40mm
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Grips: ODI Rogue
    Front Brake: Shimano XTR Trail Lever with Saint M820 Caliper
    Front Disc: 180mm Ashima Airotor
    Rear Brake: Shimano Deore
    Rear Disc: 160mm Ashima Airotor
    Hoses: Red Superstar
    Shifter: Shimano XTR
    Cables: Shimano SP41
    Rear Mech: Shimano Zee
    Chain Device: Witchcraft :wink:
    Seat: Nukeproof
    Seat Post: KS Lev
    Seat Post Clamp: Fun Works
    Cranks: Shimano SLX
    Chainring: Blackspire Mono Veloce Narrow Wide 30t
    Chain: KMC X10 93
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36
    Pedals: DMR Vaults or Shimano XT
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR
    Front Wheel: Hope Hoops Flow EX
    Back Wheel: Hope Hoops Flow EX

Weight: 29.8 lbs, a bit lighter with the clips and without the mudguard. Turned out a little heavier than I was hoping, it's only 0.3 lbs lighter than the Marin was but the frame is over half a pound lighter and there are a few lighter parts as well. Dunno how that works but there we go.

The verdict is still out on the Monarch. Going to give it a ride or two to see if it's ok otherwise I'm going to fit my RP23. Not sure if the 40mm stem will stay or not either, again just going to give it a ride or two to see how it is. The black cable will be changed to red when I get some more ordered. Somehow the brake hose was too long and the gear cable too short but the opposite when they were on the Marin, how does that work?
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Love the stealthy black/red colour scheme going on there

If you're unsure of the Monarch I would really recommend the Fox float x, Very plush and confidence inspiring on descents.. Feels like I have a lot more trust over the bike compared to my old bike with a Monarch

Oh, and nice homemade headset press :lol:
  • peter413
    There is literally no chance I could afford a Float X, wish I could though.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    peter413 wrote:
    There is literally no chance I could afford a Float X, wish I could though.

Neither could I.. I bought the Standard Fox float but the distributer got me the Float x by mistake!

Never tried an RP23 but from what I've heard it should be a better ride than the Monarch
  • peter413
    The Monarch is meant to be pretty good. Just the standard tune is a bit wallowy and blows through the travel too easily on big hits. My RP23 used to do the same but I got the volume reducer kit for it so if the Monarch is as bad as people say I'll fit the RP23 with the volume reduction kit.
  • peter413
    Some much nicer pics.

p4pb10759811.jpg

p4pb10759813.jpg

p4pb10759814.jpg

p4pb10759815.jpg

p4pb10759816.jpg

p4pb10759819.jpg

p4pb10759817.jpg

p4pb10759818.jpg

Really pleased with the way it's turned out.
  • andrepepe
    andrepepe Posts: 35
    Really nice looking! Well done!
    Actual ride: Kona Satori 2012
    Custom Kona Dew Plus 2008

Previous rides:
    - Giant Rapid One (Broken in a accident)
    - Scott Genius MC40 (Stolen)
    - Orange Sub-Five (Broke the frame)
    - Orange G3 (Sold)
    - Orange Crush (Sold)
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Good luck with the Crossmark with the current weather! I stuck one on a couple of weeks ago when it dried up and it was great but jesus they are shite in the wet...
  • peter413
    I've been using Crossmarks for years and I absolutely love them. They're obviously no mud tyre but then I have mud tyres for that.
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    peter413 wrote:
    The Monarch is meant to be pretty good. Just the standard tune is a bit wallowy and blows through the travel too easily on big hits. My RP23 used to do the same but I got the volume reducer kit for it so if the Monarch is as bad as people say I'll fit the RP23 with the volume reduction kit.

You could always do the mod AJ has done to his monarch which seems to be popular with the nukeproof owners on pinkbike using a piece of inner tube in the air can.

image-2.jpg
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Nice build, cant get my head around the red though buddy. But as long as you like it that's all that matters.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Looking very nice.
  • I want to ride that bicycle I want to ride that bike.
    Bicycle bicycle.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You mentioned that there was no grease in any of the pivots. That's exactly how it should be, all the bearings are sealed units. Greasing them externally will do nothing but attract dirt and grit.
  • peter413
    And it also stops anything seizing and those annoying creaks. I've worn out pivots before because I hadn't greased them and the bike creaked like a mofo but neither have happened since I've greased all the pivots.
  • peter413
    Had my first ride yesterday and bloody hell is this thing is fast! Kept flying over corners because my usual braking spots were just completely wrong, it picks up speed like nothing else I've ever experienced. They also seem to have sorted the tune on the shock quite nicely. It was very supportive at 25% sag but also kept the bike very controlled over the rough stuff, no wallowing or anything, it just worked. Didn't once managed to bottom it out either. I'll probably still try the RP23 at some point just to see if it is any better though, might as well since I have it.

I wouldn't say it's much poppier than other similar bikes but it does pop nicely off of jumps. The rear end is far stiffer than the Marin was, it's very noticeable when you're trying to hold a line on off camber roots or just off cambers in general. Before the Marin would just keep loosing traction but the Mega just stuck and when it did let go it found grip better without me having to do so much work because the bike wanted to stay in line with itself. The suspension is a bit of an odd one. It feels very harsh just pushing on the saddle but somehow when you start riding the rough stuff it just gets out of the way in a very controlled manner as if it has far more travel than it actually has but as soon as you're riding jumps or pedalling hard it feels like a short travel bike again that has loads of support and no bob whatsoever. The bike just stuck like glue to the trail without loosing the ability to work every little bit of the trail.

For anyone wondering about sizing I'll give my opinion on it. I would't call it small for its size at all, fits just like a large should. It is slightly odd in the way it achieves this though. The ETT is fairly short so when you're sitting it feels a bit short but once you're standing up it lengthens out to how a large should feel IMO. This is perfect for me because I can't be too stretched out sitting down and climbing but I like a longer bike for descending.

So have I got any more complaints? Well a few minor ones, yes. When checking all the bolts for tightness I found the dropout bolts are made of something worse than cheese. I put the tool in and span it with no pressure whatsoever and the tool just spun. It was as if I had put too small a tool in but I hadn't so I don't know what's up with that. At least the back of the bolts are for bigger hex keys but it's still a rather odd thing to happen. And although I really like the short ETT but long reach, I can't imagine it will be to everyones taste. There's also no cover for the Stealth hole so if like me you're running a dropper that isn't Stealth compatible (or even no dropper at all) so the frame is free to fill up with mud and water. None of this can get to the BB at least but it's still something that could easily have been avoided altogether with a little rubber plug.

So overall I'm extremely pleased with the bike and can't wait to try and break this one :lol: (I've worked out that in the last 5 years I've cracked 4 out of the 7 frames I've owned :shock: )
  • peter413
    It's only just had it's second ride today (I know, I know, but I've been busy) and I'm already changing bits. The red cable arrived so I've fitted that so all the cables match again and I've also gone and bought a new stem. Decided I quite liked the 40mm Holzfeller but decided it was too heavy or something (any excuse to buy new shiny shiny) so bought a 45mm Funn Funnduro in red (except it's only half red as you can see, the sides are silver for some bizarre reason).

p4pb10782624.jpg

This thing is seriously light at 119g, actually came 4g under the claimed weight which is unusual. I've been wanting one of these since I first saw them but the 60mm version doesn't actually seem to exist and the 45mm would have been too short for me on the Marin so now I've finally got a longer bike I decided to finally press buy. First impressions are it's a very unique looking stem :lol: The finish is nice though and the bolts seem pretty good quality. It's pretty odd looking down to see a hole on a non DM stem but I doubt I'll actually notice when I'm riding.

p4pb10782628.jpg
  • peter413
    Still loving the bike but hardly been riding the past month due to spending most of my free time helping to build a new track for the EWS. Finally got around to ordering some Low Friction Bushings from Mojo the other day which has let me fit the RP23 from the Marin. Not tried it on the trail yet but from just bouncing on it it seems to react quicker than the Monarch does although that could just be down to the bushings. Currently got the middle air volume spacer installed so will see how it compares to the Monarch on the trail. Do miss the sag markings on the Monarch though, makes things so much easier to set up.

Also fitted the ESI Chunky grips that are left over from the Kinesis. They don't feel too different to the Rogue's on the trail except for the fact there's obviously no tread pattern on them and no lock on collars so helps with sore hands a bit. Not sure if I'd actually buy them for a bike like this though, they're a little delicate but they're just sitting in the shed otherwise so might as well use them.

p4pb10984153.jpg
    p4pb10984154.jpg
    p4pb10984155.jpg
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Got out on my Mega TR for the first time today - I'm really liking the monarch so far, feels responsive enough and easy to get set up right. The propedal switch actually works too.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • peter413
    Have to say I was expecting the Monarch to be awful from what people were saying but like you I actually found it pretty good but I've got the RP23 anyway so I may as well try it. I find the TR pedals so well there's no need for any sort of pedalling platform and only used the lock position on the Monarch when on the road just because I could.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah same - it pedals really well, I didn't really notice the difference between open and locked until I started descending and realised that it was locked.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • peter413
    Only had the one ride on the RP23 so far but it's looking promising. Felt like the rear tracked the ground better but at the same time had a little more support and used less travel than the Monarch did. I set both shocks up with the same sag to make it a bit fairer. I'm putting the better tracking down to the low friction bushings but the extra support and more in reserve for bigger hits I'm putting down to the volume spacer in the RP23.

Obviously one ride isn't enough to outright say it's better but if it continues like this I'll be keeping the RP23 for sure.
  • peter413
    Had a nice 4 hour ride around Yair Forest today in the blazing sun. Some nice views were had and the bike was spectacular as always. Really wish I had changed back to the Crossmark though, the Butcher on the rear was so slow on the road. It might hook up like nothing else in the corners but it's just too much for normal XC riding but what did I expect really, I was just being a bit lazy to avoid changing tyres. Would love to try one of the new Slaughter's but Specialized in all the their wisdom have decided 26" doesn't exist anymore :(

p4pb11038780.jpg

Sheeps:
    p4pb11038785.jpg

Not a bad view really:
    p4pb11038791.jpg
    p4pb11038803.jpg
    p4pb11038808.jpg

And what happens when drainage just isn't considered:
    p4pb11038809.jpg
  • peter413
    Made the hard decision to sell off the Rocky (well, most of the parts, keeping the frame to hang on the wall). The plus side of this is that now I've sold the 888's I've been able to order some Pikes. They should hopefully be here sometime next week :D .
  • peter413
    Got the Pikes fitted earlier this week along with a new lower Hope Headset Cup. Pretty sure I found the source of the creaking, the lower headset bearing was super crunchy and pretty much dead already, the lower seal really doesn't do much. Top one is still perfect though.

p4pb11092453.jpg

First ride is later today, lets see if they live up to the hype.

In other news, Lev is having issues again. It's decided to lock in the up position and no amount of bouncing on it would release it. Luckily there's still just over a month left on the warranty so I'm hoping they will replace it with a brand new one since that was promised the last time it had issues but never happened. Stuck with an old school post for now though :(
  • peter413
    Had a couple of rides on the Pike's now. They're certainly good but don't live up to the hype but never expected them to. They do work better than the Rev's but not as much as all the magazines would have you believe. They do sit a bit higher in their travel than the Rev's do so they're better controlled on steeper trails leaving more travel for the bigger hits which does help but the biggest difference is on really fast, rough trails where they never get overwhelmed and just stay very well composed. Another little thing is the new style Maxle. It works just like the Fox 15mm axles now. I prefer the look of the older ones but have to admit the new one is easier to use once you know where to engage the lever. Haven't got a clue which is lighter but I'd guess the older one since it's got all those cutouts in the middle. Honestly if you've currently got the latest Rev's or similar I would suggest you stick with them unless you're wanting the extra stiffness and strength like I did, there isn't enough of a difference to justify spending that amount of money.

Also got myself a new GoPro HD Hero 3+ since CRC are selling them for £260 and had a little play at Glentress http://www.pinkbike.com/video/369350/. Didn't get as much done as I had wanted because the mount broke on my Super helmet. Fixed it with a zip tie now which has made it even more stable but it looses the breakaway ability not that that's really an issue since the zip tie will probably break before the 3M mounts anyway.
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    Nice video mate, also loving the pink gloves!! haha

Looks like the bike is riding well!! :)
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    2nd that , nice video indeed . Make me want a go pro and go out on a bike :-)

Good music choice aswell, I can hear myself think while watching it .
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I am kinda surprised how smooth the trails at Glentress look in that video - what is the rating on the run?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.