Recommended kids bikes?

spicyrider
spicyrider Posts: 23
Hi, as the title suggests I'm looking for recommended bikes for my 7 year old boy who found his balance this weekend, had quick nose on CRC etc and seem to be looking at over £150 for something with 16" wheels.
So, any ideas or any to steer clear of?
Thanks
2010 lapierre spicy 316
2000 cannondale super v 3000 fr sold
1996 speialized rockhopper sold
19?? raliegh discovery
19?? falcon cheetah15 (stolen)
1984ish raliegh burner
19?? raliegh boxer

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Islabikes?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Islabikes. Best there is.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I just bought a Pinnacle 16" for my 4 year old daughter. Seems remarkably well build, good bike....for what it's worth.

Much, much much better than her old 12".
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    16" wheels sounds maybe a little small for a 7yr old? I would have thought more likely 20" wheels.

Islabikes are great but pricey, although you do get a fair bit back when selling if you keep them in good nick.

Specialized, Giant and Trek I think do some good bikes. Carrera Blast at Halfords is pretty good and not too heavy compared to some and I would investigate Decathlon bikes too - these are usually much better value for money than the branded names.

Make sure you pay attention to the weight - some kids bikes are so heavy that they dont want to ride them and the passion for cycling is killed before it even starts...
  • 16" sounds a bit small for a seven year old? My six year old is very petite, and we just bought her a Giant Revel Jr which is a 20" bike. It's a fab bit of kit - well made, reasonably light and more importantly has a shorter reach than equivalent 20" cycles. She adores it - it's blinged up with spoke clackers, saddle bag and her very own cycle computer, and we've just entered a 13 mile family ride which she will manage with ease.

I would say that the grip shift is quite stiff, and my wee girl can't quite work it - so it's going into the bike shop to get thumb shifters fitted next week.
  • alphacharlie
    alphacharlie Posts: 202
    My 6 yo son had the Carrerra Blast 20" and at 8 moved onto the 24" version, my now 6 yo daughter is chomping at the bit to get onto the 20" and start with gears.
    On both blasts I swapped out the grip shifters to triggers as it was too much for my son to take in and proved really awkward compared to the thumb triggers.
    The youngest had 2 Islabikes before the Dawes Blowfish she currently rides, the Isla's are great bikes and if you are lucky you can get a fair chunk of the price back second hand when you finish with it.
    Cheers
    AC
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • Daz555
    Agree on comments about size. 20" needs looking at first.
  • spicyrider
    spicyrider Posts: 23
    Hi thanks for the replys , done a bit more research after posting this and yes am now looking at bikes with 20" wheels.
    Have seen nothing but good comments about islabikes although £300 could be stretching the budget! Still strong money 2nd hand aswell, Seen a few recommendations for the carrera blast which also gets good reviews although mostly on halfords website!
    Better get saving
    2010 lapierre spicy 316
    2000 cannondale super v 3000 fr sold
    1996 speialized rockhopper sold
    19?? raliegh discovery
    19?? falcon cheetah15 (stolen)
    1984ish raliegh burner
    19?? raliegh boxer
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Mini Mpatts is on her 4th islabikes, they are expensive but they work out cheaper depreciation wise than anything else.

She is 8, and has just outgrown her beinn 20 small. If you are anywhere near MK, happy to let your little one have a go on it (unlikely to be selling though!)
    Insert bike here:
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Apollo Spektor

99 quid from Halfords. Has everything they need and nothing they don`t.

7 yr old grandson loves his and it will grow with him quite well as the frame slopes considerably. His is very comfy and competent on it even though it`s a 20" wheel.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Daz555
    Ridgeback are decent too.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    spicyrider wrote:
    ... although £300 could be stretching the budget! Still strong money 2nd hand as well,...

Subtract the latter from the former, and you have your real cost. :mrgreen:
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Apologies for yet another Islabikes recommendation, but just bought a Luath 700 large now my middle one has grown out his Luath 26 (and Beinn before that).

I did look around this time, but couldn't find a better package at that price (although see the current CTC mag for a couple of interesting alternatives).

But whether it is worth spending that on a kids bike depends on how much they will use it (and obviously how flush for cash you are ...). My oldest use theirs to school, family touring holidays, taking on the car for other holidays, weekend rides, etc, etc. So I figure it's a worthwhile spend.

However, if they use them from time to time around the park there are far cheaper options.
  • r3hxn
    r3hxn Posts: 127
    Daz555 wrote:
    Ridgeback are decent too.

^ this

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
    Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress
  • andrewc3142
    I have a Beinn 26 for sale on the classifieds, suitable for 8+.

If you're near Woking you're welcome to try for quality, guage sizing, etc, even if you are looking to buy something new.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 577
    Bike sizing really does depend on height rather than age. My almost 8yr old daughter currently rides an Islabike Luath 26, but she is very tall for her age and had long arms/legs. She isn't far off a compact XXS 700c. She also has the skills and confidence to handle the bike.

Sounds like you need a 20" at least but don't discount a 24" which with a dropped frame won't be hugely different. Try and sit on a few. If you have a dealer with Frog bikes try those as they work out similar sized frames to Islabikes which are trickier to try.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • andrewc3142
    Islabikes which are trickier to try.

Although my experience with 3 of their bikes to date is the size chart on their website is spot on.

I just got a Luath large for one of mine for his 12th birthday. This was based on the size chart, even though the bike is listed as 13+, and fits perfectly. Thankfully, with a good amount of growing room.
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Apollo Spektor

99 quid from Halfords. Has everything they need and nothing they don`t.

7 yr old grandson loves his and it will grow with him quite well as the frame slopes considerably. His is very comfy and competent on it even though it`s a 20" wheel.

Gotta Agree Very Good Bike For Money, Looked At A Few Up In The Price Range, Still Think This Bargain . . .