New bike size concern

manhattan24
manhattan24 Posts: 19
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I recently bought a new Boardman bike but have concerns about the frame size in relation to my height. Unfortunately the Boardman bikes only go up to a 19" frame and I am 6ft 4 with a 90cm inseam. I was told to ride if for a few weeks but not having ridden a larger size cannot compare the two.

I have attached a photo sitting on the bike, could somebody please give me some advice on whether it is adviseable to take it back for a different model.

Also I'm a bit confused about seat height after looking at various sites, I tried the 109% approach but it seemed too low as another site said that the knee should be slightly bent when the leg is fully extended.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It looks like it is too small, although that only is from this picture. Mainly because the top tube looks very short for you.
  • manhattan24
    Thanks for the quick reply. I did have a feeling that it was too small for my height but wasn't too sure.
    Would I be better off getting a 21" instead?
    Cheers
  • ride_whenever
    You would certainly be better off on a frame that fits correctly. Whether that is the 21" or the 23" i couldnt say
  • muddpuppy
    muddpuppy Posts: 87
    Does it feel comfortable if so why change it if not change it
  • ride_whenever
    That's a ridiculous proposal muddpuppy. I've had people come in for fits who are comfortable yet are nowhere near the right position, with large changes to be made. Comfort is an appalling indicator of fit.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    To give you a comparison I am over 6ft 6 with a 93cm inseam and ride a 23" Specialized Carve. I have a relatively long body. While manufacturers frame sizes do vary it is unlikely I would fit a 19" frame. I was on the upper limit of my last 21" MTB but it fitted fine.

Going by your photo for me the bike would be too small but I prefer XC hardtail mountain bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That looks far too small.
  • manhattan24
    The bike is not as comfortable as I was hoping. It is a bit strange that Boardman frames only go up to 19" as there must be lots of taller riders out there.
    I will go back to the store and swap it for a 21" frame and see if it is an improvement.
    Thanks for the replies.
  • manhattan24
    Looks like will have to get another brand from Halfords, most of the bikes only go up to 20" so a bit concerned. Could anyone recommend an alternative bike that Halfords sell. I don't mind going up on my budget but after having a look on the site there seems to be slim pickings.
  • kajjal
    Being tall you may have to try a good local bike shop or look at second hand bikes. There is less choice for taller riders and getting a bike that fits you is important.
  • manhattan24
    Not sure I will be able to get a refund from Halfords so might have to get one from there.
  • kajjal
    You should be fine as they have sold you a bike that is much too small for you. That means it is not fit for purpose under the sale of goods act.
  • Hi,
    Just a quick follow up to my bike size issues. Halfords tried with Boardman to get a bigger frame size but couldn't provide one, so they recommended I try the VooDoo Bizango which has got a 20" frame. Would this bike be large enough as it has the larger 29er wheels and a slightly larger frame?

Here is the link to the bike - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Any feedback would be great.
    Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The larger wheel size has no effect on frame size.

Most important is the effective top tube length (Horizontal distance from the steerer to the extended seat tube), that needs to be at least a size larger than the Boardman (so about 40mm longer).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Bizango is 1" larger so it might be worth giving it a ride to find out. But it's difficult to know if you don't know how the bike is supposed to feel, whether I'm sitting in the correct riding position etc.
  • Tried the Bizango which was a good bike but got a refund as it still seemed too small to me. I went to my local bike shop and they recommended a German brand I've never heard of called Silverback, the model is the Sola 4 at £639. I looked for reviews but couldn't even find one, so a bit cautious. Does anyone know if it's a good bike for the price? Here's the info and specs - http://www.silverbacklab.com/upload/201 ... la4_14.htm

Think an alternative would be to get a Decathlon Rock Rider 8.1 but the XL is unsurprisingly out of stock on the site.
    On other threads people recommend getting a bike online from Pauls Cycles as they supply older models at very good prices, but then I wouldn't have the local support if something went wrong.

I don't mind going up a bit with my budget to around £750 maximum. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
  • sattaman
    sattaman Posts: 12
    I'm in the same situation at the moment. I'm also 6 foot 4, haven't bought anything yet but unsure about what bike to get. The voodoo bizango is tempting, but not sure if it's too small. I'm limited to halfords or Evans due to getting it through a cycle to work scheme and my work. Testing out an xl scott http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec056379 on Sunday although is over your budget at 999. Be interested to see what people say.

Bike shops seem to just want to sell you what they've got in stock, and if they order something in and build it they doubally want to sell it you. Getting genuine advice on bike fit is difficult. Is the main way of knowing whether the bike fits having the correct stand over height? A 3" gap above the frame?
  • Silverback are a German company. I haven't seen any over here, but seen a few when I've been over in Europe.

If you aren't worried about ordering online (or the wheel size), AAdict suggestions are pretty good.
    Decent-specced with Shimano kit and Reba forks on the third link - a lot better than the spec on the Silverback.
    I have the Ltd Race Pro SL myself and it is a great, light bike. XC orientated - comfortable riding position, but equally capable of tackling trails. Mine's done the tour of many trail centres without dfficulty.

Don't get hung up about standover height. Its all about the geometry of the frame. My Cube frame is straight, my Zesty is dropped so the standover height is completely different.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Thanks for all the input, it can certainly get a bit confusing when there are so many models and opinions. I am tempted to go for the Cube Ltd Race as it seems like it would be the best value bike for the money. I just wondered, are the other bikes recommended above better than the ones I have already tried out? (The Boardmans and the Bizango).
    Finally wheel size, lots of people say go for 29ers, but is it just a marketing ploy or are there real benefits? If yes, are there any recommended ones available on the site?
  • In general, Boardmans and the VooDoo range from Halfords are good value for money.
    The price drop on the Cubes, makes them well worth looking at too. I can't comment on the Cannondale as I have no experience of them.

There are pros and cons to the new wheel sizes (there is also the 650b - or 27.5" which is gaining popularity amongst manufacturers too).

The theory is (if you had an identical bike in a 26" and 29" version), a 29er is slower to get moving (heavier wheel/heavier frame), but once you get moving the momentum means that you travel faster. However they aren't as manoverable (sp?) in tight, technical stuff. However the 29er (with it's larger surface area) will be able to roll over some stuff that you would otherwise avoid on a 26er.
    At least that is the theory... :wink:
    I have found that in practice it is true, but my two bikes are vastly different so it isn't exactly scientific.

Once again - don't get hung up over wheel sizes. Think about where you ride, how long you ride and how often you go out riding. That should be your biggest influence of choice.

I would get swayed by what is fashionable - especially if it is your first bike. If you get into mountain-biking, I guarantee that you will want another bike in two year's time.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I decided to go for the Cube Ltd Race 22" as it looks like a really nice bike for the price, now I just have to wait til next Tuesday for delivery.

Thanks for all the help.
  • Hi,
    I just wondered if anyone has received a bike from Pauls Cycles? If yes, was it set-up correctly out of the box as the site states that all you have to do is put on the front wheel, handlebars and peddles. Would it be advisable to take it to a lbs to put together or is it easy enough to do myself?

Also setting up the front fork, I have been reading forums and articles and came across what seems like the easiest way to do it where you take 60% of your body weight for the top and then 60% -10lbs for the bottom i.e. my weight 190lbs (190 x .6)=114 psi + and 104 psi -. Has anyone else tried this approach or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One I got from Paul's was set up ok, but I went over everything anyway. They can't fine tune anything, but it's not rocket science - read Parktools.

As for setting up the forks, read the manual, ignore random 'best ways' and ignore the recommended pressures in the manual as well. Generally rubbish.

Set the sag, and rebound, then tweek as required.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    Hopefully the retailer would provide you with all the documentation for the parts on the bike, and there should be a manual for the fork telling you how to get the sag right on it. I don't know if all retailers do this but Halfords gave me all the docs for the stuff on mine (bottom bracket/cranks, brakes, fork etc.) so I'm guessing other places will too, if not it will be online anyways. By the way I'm sure a 22" will be fine for you.
  • Thanks for the responses.

Sorry when you said 'read Parktools', is that a reference to an article on this forum or another site?

I did have a look at the recommended fork pressure on their website an it says to use 120-135 psi for my size, so do I pump in 120 psi then test it, add more if the ride seems too soft and progress that way? Got a little bit foxed as I think the reba fork has got a plus and negative pressure, do they both need to be the same psi?

Cheers
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    Thanks for the responses.

Sorry when you said 'read Parktools', is that a reference to an article on this forum or another site?

click the parktools link in his signature
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    vvvvvvvv down there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for that, shows how observant I am when it comes to signatures.
  • Bike arrived today, looks great. I have a couple of questions that someone might be able to help me with.
    First, on the front of the handlebars there is a number adjustment with plus and negative on it. I just wondered what was the correct way to align it. Below is an image to illustrate.

Also on the bottom of the fork there is a black bar, does that unscrew somehow before inserting the wheel?

Cheers