Van conversion

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited February 2015 in The hub
Hi guys

So when it comes to renewing my car in 2 years I've decided I'd possibly like to buy a can instead for bikes and other outdoor sports.

The van would hopefully be converted into a sort of camper. Nothing major basically a bed and some cupboards for storage as it would let me travel further for biking etc without staying in a tent. It would basically become a metal tent. Would use camp site facilities for showering etc.

So for anyone who has done this, what van did you chose and why? I've been looking mainly at te transit and trafic but both seem to have terrible fuel consumption and the trafic seems to get terrible reviews regarding reliability. I have considered micro campers as well. Saw that someone had converted one of those Peugeot bippers but they are very basic! Could be cool though.

I know it's 2 years away but id like to start planning now. I would prefers he can to be 2-3 years old with low milage. Can get a trafic for around £7k with that age and milage so I guess that's my budget.

Cheers
Craig
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes
    See http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=177097

Blank pics are due to face ache changing things. Pics here https://www.facebook.com/nicklouse/medi ... 170&type=3

Other things to think about older Diesel engines can run on veg oil. 90p a liter for about the same mpg.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Kerrmit1992
    As much as the VW is a nice van, the newer models are Rediculously expensive! I would still prefer a newer van as I've been so used to newer cars I don't think I could go to the horrible old interiors. Even though most van interiors are poorer than cars an old van would be worse haha

Cheers
    Craig
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • nicklouse
    I would not touch most new vans. They are dead before they are old.

They self fuel and blow up engines. They spit out drive shafts. And there is so little paint on them.....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Kerrmit1992
    Well then maybe instead of replacing my car with one could buy an old VW as an extra.

So how much can you buy one of these vans for? Don't mind one that needs work but not stupid amounts of work. And how many miles could a van like that do before it dies?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    nicklouse wrote:

They self fuel and blow up engines. They spit out drive shafts. And there is so little paint on them.....

And your '92 VW is bullet proof eh ;)
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    You pay an extra charge on a VDub too, the status charge which adds about 15% on top of what the van is worth. If you're looking at a self conversion you could pick up a tranny, a vito or pretty much any van for much less. You just won't look as 'cool'...

Because my girlfriend has horses she would benefit from one also so might go 50:50 on one :-)
  • nicklouse
    Briggo wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

And your '92 VW is bullet proof eh ;)
    Err yes.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    nicklouse wrote:
    Err yes.

Yeah ok bud.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    i have a VW T4 2.5tdi factory kombi W reg,had it for 8 years and it has been flawless,i am looking around at replacing it but VW T5's are absolutely stupid prices,paid £5000 for the T4 at 6 years old,the same age T5 now would be around £10-13k,if you do plump for a T5 you really want an 06 onwards,earlier ones suffer with the wiring looms,and an07 onwards with a Merc Vito better body work,look at the long wheelbase versions as well lot more room with bikes and a bed,my T4 gave me about 37-38 mpg last year 2500 mile trip including mountain passes in the alps
  • Don't buy a vauxhall van over 4 years old ever, you do pay a premium for a vw but you also get a much better range of parts, conversion kits and knowledge available
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • I've been eyeing up the caddy van as you can get one with about 35,000miles for £7k.
  • Got a caddy maxi myself. Perfect size to fit a bike in and can fit myself in without a squeeze. Haven't got round to sticking a bed in yet but it's on the list of things to do. Camped in it a few times, so much space it's crazy.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    Had a t4 2.5tdi it was a great van and bullet proof but they are far too expensive these days and many have been wrecked covered in chrome bling etc. I would say unless you get a high roof you wont be able to store bikes in there and sleep, but then I wouldn't want much bigger for using as a daily drive as the thing was pretty gutless tbh. I then had a mk2 caddy 1.9tdi, quick and fun to drive as a daily but not especially roomy - space would be tight for sleeping as it would be in any variant of the caddy 2k - this isnt a problem if you just need it to carry your gear and use a tent instead. A t5 would be nice but they are a bit common these days and expensive, many have been chavved up. Vivaros etc seem to self destruct so for me are a no go. Ended up with an old V70 d5 estate, quick, cheap, comfortable, economical, massive boot (4 bikes without folding seats easy) but unfortunately on a private track it shat itself at vmax - I would have another though as I think the D5 engine is one of the best, shame it didnt feature in a van. Vivaro's traffics et al have gearbox issues aswell -The t4 was probably one of the best but expect to pay alot for a clean one - bear in mind you will get your money back when you come to sell. I plan on going big and getting an iveco daily but then this wouldnt be my only car, too many corrosion issues on sprinters, lt's, crafters, transits etc.