Alfine Service

bill_gates
bill_gates Posts: 469
edited June 2014 in The workshop
My commuter with an Alfine 8 is likely due some maintenance and I maybe thought it was time to change the chainrings and rear sprocket. Anyone know what components I need to buy to do this and anything else that might need some attention in terms of a small service myself. I'm not going to open the rear hub as I expect there is not enough use for that to require a full internal service. I've previously only done a new chain change in approx 2000 miles.

Gear shifting is generally smooth although pedalling doesn't seem as smooth as it could be which makes me think that there is wear and tear on the chainring teeth.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Just the sprocket and ring. All other parts are re-usable.
  • bill_gates
    Is there an alternative chainring to buy. I've read someone used a Deore rather than the £60 approx for the whole pack that also includes a new crank arm.

Sprocket is only about £10.

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    How many miles has the bike done? I think it was around 6,000 miles before I replaced the chain and sprocket (and it's not as if it was desperately needed). The chainring should last way longer.

If pedalling isn't smooth I'd suspect the bottom bracket first. Is it an external bearing type (e.g. Hollowtech)? Only tend to get a few thousand miles out of those.

A few decent vids on youtube if the sprocket does need replacing, no special tools required (other than a couple of small screwdrivers for refitting a troublesome snap ring!).
  • bill_gates
    edited June 2014
    It's hard to describe the symptoms but it is like a 'grind' from the front when pedalling. I plan a quick clean-up of the drivetrain and can maybe get a closer inspection of the rings. I changed the chain at 1500 miles and the bike has approx 2500 on it total.

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Yeah no way the chain ring should need replacing yet.
  • bill_gates
    Done a full inspection and clean today and it still feel a bit 'rough' with any drivetrain motion. I ensured the chain is not stretched (it has only been on for approx 200-300miles). The teeth on both chaingring and rear sprocket do look slightly sharp, not quite shark fins but I do think they might be worn.

What options do I have for replacing the front chainring. There is a Alfine S500 available from most online retailers but not in my colour preference. Can I not put another 5 bolt chainring on and also save a bit of cash in the process. I read some folk used a 5-bolt Deore chainring.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bill Gates wrote:
    it has only been on for approx 200-300miles.
    Bill Gates wrote:
    I changed the chain at 1500 miles and the bike has approx 2500 on it total.
    Ahem......

Check the pedals spin smoothly, remove the chain and check the cranks spin smoothly, if all is OK, only then consider changing the ring/sprocket.

We need to know what crankset you have now to know what rings may fit, important bit is number of chainring bolts (and are they riveted or really bolts) and the BCD (see Sheldon brown website for how to measure that easily).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bill_gates
    Oops, I see what I did there. I don't keep an accurate log of miles/component changes but the chain is in pretty good condition.

Currently try front chainring is 130BCD, 45T 5-bolt.