New bolts for Deda Zero stem

paulbnix
paulbnix Posts: 631
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I have Deda stems on both my bikes and they are great - inexpensive, look good and keep the bars in position.
However the bolts do suffer from corrosion.
Anyone know where I could get some inexpensive but more corrosion proof bolts?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Your local engineering/fastener supplier..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    just put a bit of acf50 on them every few months
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Search eBay for M5 titanium stem bolts. They'll fit and won't rust.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175

Overkill much?

Just get some stainless screws from your local engineering supplies counter.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mitchgixer6
    I don't think it's overkill no. They don't exactly cost the earth.
  • desweller
    How much do you pay for yours then? It's usually a couple of quid per screw for Ti, compared to...well, pence for stainless.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • You might find that a standard M5 bolt won't fit - stem bolts mostly have a smaller head and fit into a recessed seat - they usually take a size smaller allen key as a result.
    Look 566
    Dolan Hercules
    Genesis Flyer
    Sintesi 707
    Genesis Aether
    Charge Plug
  • mitchgixer6
    DesWeller wrote:
    How much do you pay for yours then? It's usually a couple of quid per screw for Ti, compared to...well, pence for stainless.

My point exactly. Couple of £ per bolt.

My Deda stem has standard heads on the bolts and for M5 that is 4mm Allen key. Some stems require a tapered head so worth checking.
  • paulbnix
    As suggested by sungod I have ordered some act50 corrosion block. I looked at the titanium bolts but with 12 to replace (I forgot the 3rd bike) at 2-3 quid a bolt I thought £5 on corrosion block was worth a try.
    As to getting stainless from my local supplier - I have stainless currently and I see no reason to think cheap replacement stainless would behave differently unless they were like the marine standard bolts I have on my sailing dinghy.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    paulbnix wrote:
    As to getting stainless from my local supplier - I have stainless currently and I see no reason to think cheap replacement stainless would behave differently unless they were like the marine standard bolts I have on my sailing dinghy.

If you have stainless bolts currently - and they are corroding - then they are not stainless. Unless your interpretation of 'corrosion' is slightly different....
  • desweller
    paulbnix wrote:
    As suggested by sungod I have ordered some act50 corrosion block. I looked at the titanium bolts but with 12 to replace (I forgot the 3rd bike) at 2-3 quid a bolt I thought £5 on corrosion block was worth a try.

Unless, of course, your screws are actually just nickel or chrome plated...?

Real stainless steel screws will not corrode.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mattyarse
    mattyarse Posts: 65

Thanks for that. Just ordered 4 for £2.99 including postage. If they don't fit no big deal, and if they do, rusty bolt annoyance over....
  • marshall_a
    marshall_a Posts: 90
    mattyarse wrote:

Thanks for that. Just ordered 4 for £2.99 including postage. If they don't fit no big deal, and if they do, rusty bolt annoyance over....

where from? you sure that's not just for the washers?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yeah - I'd double check that - the 2.99 deal is just for washers....
  • paulbnix
    Yes you are correct I've just looked and the bolts supplied with the Deda stem are CroMo not stainless.
    How do you find your "local engineering supplies counter"? Would it be motor trade?
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    I bought these for the exact same stem. Unlike other ti bolts I've used these were excellent quality and nicely snug on the hex key unlike some which round out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Ti-Titanium-TAPER-HEAD-Stem-Bolts-M5-x-16mm-Fit-Carbon-Road-MTB-Handlebars-/290675102407?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item43ad9612c7#ht_370wt_747

Six bolts for £8.99 free delivery.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    stem/steerer bolts are safety critical, if you do decide to replace, make sure the replacements are rated strong enough (and from a trustworthy source)

when i got some deda branded ones a few years ago they were high tensile bolts, basic stainless steel bolts are not as strong as ht ones

whether you need ht bolts is another matter, you'd need to look at the specific geometry and loading of the stem, but personally it's an area where for a few quid i'd sooner err on the side of safety
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • desweller
    paulbnix wrote:
    Yes you are correct I've just looked and the bolts supplied with the Deda stem are CroMo not stainless.
    How do you find your "local engineering supplies counter"? Would it be motor trade?

If you fire up yell.co.uk you should be able to find something.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}