Hincapie: The Loyal Lieutenant

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited June 2014 in Pro race
Hincapie's book is out next month The Loyal Lieutenant: Leading Out Lance and Pushing Through the Pain on the Rocky Road to Paris.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/spor ... k/8130215/

Spilling the beans big time apparently. Good to hear it from this hardcore doper's mouth for the first time.

Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Yes, loyal to a fault, until it became too late. Think I'll give it a miss.

Who's the ugly bloke in your avatar :wink:
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I'll buy it :mrgreen:
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    And Lance has written the foreword. Surprise, surprise

And what do we have here?

'Armstrong writes that his team “held out” from doping in 1994, hoping that tests would be developed to rid cycling of drug cheats. But the following year, Armstrong said, the famed bike race Milan-San Remo “ended up being the final straw where (a number of us) decided we’d do it'

Lance has always lied so much he forgets what he says from one time to another. In an interview with CN published last Nov:

DB: I definitely want to come to the media and the narrative – even Cyclingnews had part to play in it – but just going back to the issue of the culture. You were up against guys like [Miguel] Indurain, [Laurent] Jalabert, [Tony] Rominger and all these guys. When you came over, were you clean in those early races? Did you realise what was going on or were you already ingrained in that culture that existed?

LA: No. I mean as a young rider, I didn’t know then what other people were doing, but we were basically… I mean, I don’t know about [Andy] Hampsten or [Alvaro] Mejia or the GC guys at Motorola, but we were more or less a clean team. And then again, as young riders, you would be even a tier below that.

DB: You said more or less?

LA: [Laughs] That’s what I mean, more or less. Again I don’t know what others did or didn’t do, and I don’t want to get into the details, but at some point cycling switched from low-octane to high-octane. I don’t know who had made that switch to high-octane first. In Motorola, we had not in 1993. It’s well documented that we did make that switch in 1995, but in the years before, we were low-octane [Armstrong later defined "low-octane" as meaning "Cortisone, etc"– ed.] That worked okay in 1993 but it did not work okay in 1994. In that winter between '93 and '94, there was a tectonic shift.

DB: What hasn’t been documented is when you first crossed that line. If you even want to call it a line, in terms of being low-octane. Can you say when that was?

LA: That’s the kind of detail… It was before 1995, put it that way.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lan ... iew-part-1

Lying. Always the lying.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I like George but he came across fairly odious in Cycle of Lies.

But then, don't poop where you eat, so I can't really blame him.

More curious about the Barry book. I assume I get that one for free because I bought his first draft of it?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Richmond Racer
    iainf72 wrote:

But then, don't poop where you eat, so I can't really blame him.

More curious about the Barry book. I assume I get that one for free because I bought his first draft of it?

Iain, you know that that was a different genre - fiction

No gifts on Ventoux
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    iainf72 wrote:

Why odious? I read it too and didn't think he came across that badly...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Why do American publishers insist on such ridiculously long titles for their books?

I trust George is giving the book away seeing what a nice guy he is who clearly wouldn't want to profit from his misdemeanours?

Oh.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    And Lance has written the foreword. Surprise, surprise

And what do we have here?

'Armstrong writes that his team “held out” from doping in 1994, hoping that tests would be developed to rid cycling of drug cheats. But the following year, Armstrong said, the famed bike race Milan-San Remo “ended up being the final straw where (a number of us) decided we’d do it'

Lance has always lied so much he forgets what he says from one time to another. In an interview with CN published last Nov:

DB: I definitely want to come to the media and the narrative – even Cyclingnews had part to play in it – but just going back to the issue of the culture. You were up against guys like [Miguel] Indurain, [Laurent] Jalabert, [Tony] Rominger and all these guys. When you came over, were you clean in those early races? Did you realise what was going on or were you already ingrained in that culture that existed?

LA: No. I mean as a young rider, I didn’t know then what other people were doing, but we were basically… I mean, I don’t know about [Andy] Hampsten or [Alvaro] Mejia or the GC guys at Motorola, but we were more or less a clean team. And then again, as young riders, you would be even a tier below that.

DB: You said more or less?

LA: [Laughs] That’s what I mean, more or less. Again I don’t know what others did or didn’t do, and I don’t want to get into the details, but at some point cycling switched from low-octane to high-octane. I don’t know who had made that switch to high-octane first. In Motorola, we had not in 1993. It’s well documented that we did make that switch in 1995, but in the years before, we were low-octane [Armstrong later defined "low-octane" as meaning "Cortisone, etc"– ed.] That worked okay in 1993 but it did not work okay in 1994. In that winter between '93 and '94, there was a tectonic shift.

DB: What hasn’t been documented is when you first crossed that line. If you even want to call it a line, in terms of being low-octane. Can you say when that was?

LA: That’s the kind of detail… It was before 1995, put it that way.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lan ... iew-part-1

Lying. Always the lying.

Why lying? He's admitted to doping and being on doping teams ... The latter shows more transparency than some given the history of the teams they have ridden for ...
  • frenchfighter
    Hopefully he gives a good account of this time.
    378-RTR351PJ.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Worth a read in light of the above discussion (apols if it's been posted before):

http://crankpunk.com/2014/05/01/the-cur ... -hincapie/
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    jswba wrote:
    Worth a read in light of the above discussion (apols if it's been posted before):

That makes for an interesting read. He still allows himself to be manipulated by Lance. I won't buy this book. I couldn't stomach putting money in Hincapie's pocket.

The Loyal Lieutenant indeed.

DD.
  • Richmond Racer
    jswba wrote:

That makes for an interesting read. He still allows himself to be manipulated by Lance. I won't buy this book. I couldn't stomach putting money in Hincapie's pocket.

The Loyal Lieutenant indeed.

DD.

He gave himself body* and soul to Lance from the very start. That'll be the way it is still they're both in - or off - their rockers

*oh, you know what I mean
  • frenchfighter
    Apparently there is a lot of BS and lies in this book. He doesnt come across very well.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    dish_dash wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Not sure odious is the word I would use. Though I would agree that he does not come across well in my view.
  • derbygrimpeur
    derbygrimpeur Posts: 822
    With a foreward from Lance, why should we believe that the book will be wholly truthful.

I bought the Hamilton book, but I won't get this because of the tie with Armstrong that still exists.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    dish_dash wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Not sure odious is the word I would use. Though I would agree that he does not come across well in my view.

For me the Crank Punk article does far more to show Hincapie in a bad light than Cycle of Lies...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    The Crank Punk article was very good and re-enforced my opinion of "Big George" while we're at it perhaps he should be stripped of his record of TdF finishes?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    378-RTR351PJ.jpg

Do you mean if he knows if Evans Doped? If that is what you mean just say it.
    As for Hincapie and his book. Good luck to him. If Hamilton profits then why not Hincapie. Both of them doped like just about everyone else from that time. Its all a big fuss about something that happens in most professional sports. If it wasn't Armstrong it would have been someone else. Like I said before how come Zidane a footballer who was busted and won everything is a hero and Cyclists end up being talked about liked they killed someone.
    It's a boring subject and been done to death and I'm sure it has been done to death on this site as well.
    Andy Schleck is clean.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    think I will get it at some point but will wait for it to drop in price.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 477
    378-RTR351PJ.jpg

I reckon this was the stage in 2012 when cadel had a woefull day after suffering food poisoning after bmc had mussels on the rest day in Pau. Dropped down to seventh on GC when tommy v gurned his way to victory over the perysoude.

Cadel was saying thanks via his obscured arm rather than head butting him.

To commiserate they then both snorted a line of epo and cortisone off a luchon hooker....
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Just watched The Armstrong Lie. Unsure of my opinion of George after it but I do think that Armstrong has been made the focus of all cyclings ills when really that award should go to the UCI for overseeing a sport where many people felt you either doped or went home.

Having said that, the UCI were constricted by the state of the art at the time - there was no test for EPO for a long time
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sherer wrote:
    think I will get it at some point but will wait for it to drop in price.

I'm gonna wait for the movie.