Random brake question...

IDave
IDave Posts: 223
edited June 2014 in MTB beginners
Which way round are your brake levers set? I'm used to the rear always being on the left and the front on the right.

I just tried out a bike in Decathlon and they were the other way around - which was totally weird and very disconcerting! Is it a coincidence that mine have always been set that way?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Countries that drive on the left normally have them set up left front, right rear.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    Well that makes sense since I was in a German Decathlon! I had no idea they switched their brakes around on the continent.

They also have a slightly different range of bikes in Decathlon in Germany, including this bike which is excellent value for money:

http://www.decathlon.de/mountainbike-27 ... 05556.html
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    European standards since about 1995 say that it should be front right rear left. However no one takes a blind bit of notice of euro rules and regulations except when it suits them.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    edited June 2014
    IDave wrote:
    Well that makes sense since I was in a German Decathlon! I had no idea they switched their brakes around on the continent.

They also have a slightly different range of bikes in Decathlon in Germany, including this bike which is excellent value for money:

http://www.decathlon.de/mountainbike-27 ... 05556.html
    They don't. We do, Most countries drive on the right, and a lot of bikes are designed (cable guides etc) for left front.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    think you mean drive on the right!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    That's exactly what I said.

More or less, now sneakily edited.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Because they're not motorcycles. Are you Kowlolski?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But being a colony you drive on the left anyway. Just another thing to thank us for.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Right old mix over here, ride with English, Dutch & French guys - some of the Anglais have changed over to the Euro setup but some haven't so you borrow a bike at your own risk
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well if you can convince the Europeans to put their brakes the right way round, then great.....

As it happens I ride in India, most the hire bikes have their brakes UK style but the Giant shop have their Euro style.....well except for the cable ones I've borrowed which have all gone back UK style!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Festerfeet
    Festerfeet Posts: 90
    One big exception to the right drive rule is China. Their bikes (if they have brakes) are setup the same as the the UK.

Given their heritage of being a bike country and having invented everything including fireworks, wind powered hand carts, the internet (I know but try telling that to a Chinese school kid), old communism, new capitalism and apparently basketball (I know again but honestly, who cares) they probably invented bicycles as well!!!!