Does this look like a crack......

andy9964
andy9964 Posts: 930
edited July 2014 in Road general
Or a Harry Potter-esque scratch.
Right at the bottom of the seat tube where it joins the BB. Bit of a strange shape for a scratch though
There's a definite click if I run my fingernail over it :?
Cannondale Synapse 2013 aluminium frame

20140531_085858_zpswm9mbs9t.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Errmm is see lots of dirt etc. give it a clean and repost the picture.

And the frame material is?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andy9964
    Frame is aluminium.
    Here's a cleaned and cropped close up. There's a definite scuff between the two horizontal lines, but they are the ones I'm concerned about
    20140531_102237-1_zpsekmbbik4.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    That is just a scratch.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    scratch.gif
  • andy9964
    Okay, cheers, I'll keep an eye on it just in case it spreads

Good use of Python gif BTW :)
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    builder-sacked-for-not-shwing-his-arse-crack-yarpnews.jpg

That's a crack.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    builder-sacked-for-not-shwing-his-arse-crack-yarpnews.jpg

That's a crack.
    That is indeed...a crack...! but from your point of view...if in doubt...get it checked.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    thats a scratch man ! :)

A crack on metal is usually kinda hairline and thunder-strike ish. Travelling down the welds or along the contact between weld and post in that case.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    How have you managed to scratch a frame so much in an area like that over such a short amount of time? Is it kept in a hedge full of brambles and barbed wire?
  • andy9964
    @ mfin: I did manage a clipless moment a week or so after my first set of proper pedals, and that's the only thing I can think of that could've caused it.
    Funnily enough, I landed in some brambles on the left side, you don't happen to have half a dozen Springer pups do you (the reason I fell off)
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I don't want to start a new thread because there are a few of these. But what do you guys think of this?

DSC_0164_zps2659401d.jpg
    DSC_0166_zps5bb497ea.jpg
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    That looks like where the BB box has been joined to the chain stay in manufacture and just looks like poor resin impregnation. Is it smooth to touch? If not, the bike should not be ridden!

If the bike was new, I would reject it because it should have been picked out by Quality Control and rejected or at least sent to be one of the models that has a painted finish (yes - gulp!!). Only the best carbon lay ups make it out for a naked carbon bike. This one isn't.

Cosmetic carbon outer layers like this are very difficult to get perfect and provided you can't feel anything and can't open a crack up by pulling the axle points apart, it should be OK.

What bike is it?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • lawrences
    It's a Felt AR4 2012. Luckily still under warranty for another year so I'm going to be sending some pictures to Wiggle.
  • lawrences
    Knew it would be bloody Wiggle's fault :evil:

I was contemplating putting generic bike retailer... wish I had. :)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    lawrences wrote:
    I don't want to start a new thread because there are a few of these. But what do you guys think of this?

Is the frame creaking or is there anything to suspect it is a crack? Remove the wheel and flex the stays - a crack will move. Looks like poor finishing of the topweave - this is a cosmetic layer, not structural.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • lawrences
    The frame has creaked for a while. But it's a BB30 so who knows. I'll try flexing the stays later and get back to you. I should hear back from customer support today as well. Cheers.
  • lawrences
    A mere month later and I've been told they need to collect the frame to assess damage.

Baby steps.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    If you look on the right hand side, they layup also stops in the same place. To me- it looks like the end of the cloth and resin has spilt over .Doesn't look like a crack.