protecting a new frame

jas754
jas754 Posts: 26
edited June 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, my new bike should be arriving in a few weeks, never used any thing like helitape ect before, just wondered how you guys protect your frames, how much to cover up ect?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Small bits on the cable rub areas, otherwise nothing. It's a mountain bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    I always cover down tube and seat stays.

The down tube e cause I ride on stoney trails which knocks the paint literally off and the seat stays because II ride all year round d my waterproofs wear through the paint.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I've got a neoprene type chain stay protector and I got some crappy little clear, sticky ovals from Epic Bleed Solutions but they're kinda peeling off so have replaced them with some PVC tape to cover some of the cable rubbing areas.

I do have £7 worth of Superstar Impact Protection Sheet in my basket that I might get with the next order of brake pads - downtube is a bit of a concern as it gets whacked with some fairly big flying rocks but so far no visible damage

But like CD says, you can't be too precious...it's a mountain bike
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • jas754
    jas754 Posts: 26
    I know its just a mountain bike at the end of the day, but I like to look after my stuff aswell as raging down trails, my thoughts were just to do the down tube, the odd cable rub area and the bottom of the chainstay as thats where my 3 year old zesty suffered most, just wondered how far people went nowadays, ta
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    I pretty much have the above, chainstay protector, few cable rubs areas and thats it - dont even bother with downtube tape tbh.
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Not ashamed to say I go overboard with tape on my bikes, both road and mountain bike.

I generally do all cable rub areas, the underside of the downtube, top of the top tube, back of the seat tube, both chain stays and sometimes even the seat stays. Yes it's over the top, but I like to look after my bikes and it helps keep the potential re-sale value up.

Having said that, each to their own. Do what ever you're happy with. Take your time and use plenty of warm soapy water and a card to smooth it all out.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I got a full invisiframe kit fitted to mine... Worth every penny IMO lovely cut size and covers most of your paint work and you can hardly see it.

would do it again for HT when i get it end of summer :)
  • Chainstay protector and a couple of Jagwire tube tops for cable rub.
    My Lapierre came with some clear frame protection stuff on the downtube, but that is already coming off.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)