Planet X XLS vs On one dirty disco?

jamie 'jammy dodger'
edited June 2014 in Cyclocross
I currently commute & XC (in spare time) with a full sus bike...the 2 bikes mentioned in title are a couple of choices id like to use to commute & light XC.

Of the two does the £299 price difference offer alot more,ive never had a cyclocross so have no comparison.

Many thanks for any input J
Still can't wheelie :(

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My ride buddy has both - XLS has more classic CX race geometry, i.e. faster-handling whereas DD has slacker head angle and better for all-day riding, like the 100 miles of the Dorset Gravel Dash last weekend. Depends on what you're planning to use the bike for.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    I have the XLS (with SRAM), and a friend at work has ordered the Dirty Disco (due to land next week), so when it does I'll be able to give a direct comparison!!

As Monty Dog said, my understanding is also that teh XLS is more out and out race frame than the DD.

Cross Junkie here (http://crossjunkie.blogspot.co.uk/2013/ ... n-xls.html) , has ridden and raced both, and in an earlier blog muses on the differences between the two.
  • Thanks for the help.

Primarily the bike will serve as a commute (the full sus is fun but heavy).I currently ctw 5 mins road 25/30 mins canal,about 8 miles so not breaking any records here.

But i'm going to save full sus for trail days and certain XC routes but would like a CX bike to able me to have some longer road/light xc routes.

The tart in me loves black bikes,I've looked at the boardman team/comp but not liking the chrome look plus ive never had a carbon so be a nice change.

Cheers again J
  • Ps just noticed cross junkie is relatively local to me (approx 12 miles) irrelevant but cool
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Sounds like the dirty disco is then...
    However, I have a race geometry frameset and I use it for pretty much everything and I don't race
    left the forum March 2023
  • You'd think the DD clinches it but the jury is still out :-\
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Wasn't the DD designed for 3 peaks type riding, and the XLS is a more typical race bike?
  • Q about sizing....overlooked this...im 6ft,rode a 20# hardtail and currently a 44cm (17.5 i think) full sus..im led to believe CX bikes are totally different to the mentioned bikes and road bikes.

Don't think planet x have a store near me but have a halfords local,presuming if i try a Boardman CX this will set the scale for other CX bikes?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    You have to decide between 54 and 56... probably 56 is more your size. I am 5'10" and have a 54 frame
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks matey.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Bear in mind these 2 bikes don't have any mudguard eyelets etc if you plan to use mudguards on your commute.
  • Not an issue,besides the neo guard on my sus i can happily cycle without guards (granted i have a full change of clothes at work for wet days).
  • I have a XLS and love it.

I've ran it on conti gp4s pretty much since I got it and use it for road riding and the odd commute. The furthest I've rode it is around 50 mile and had no problem with comfort.
    Planet X XLS 2013
    Planet X London Road 2015
  • Cool B-)

I favor continental rubber queens 2.2 as a rule,not checked yet but do conti do a CX tyre in the same grade?
  • Trip to Halfords for a sizing...Their CX team 55.5 was a very comfy fit & to be fair (unlike previous comment) a nice looking chrome bike.

Felt weird at first,thought they brought out a small frame as the bike looked very low,i belive this is the case with CX & road bikes unlike hardtail/full sus.

Still not sure i want to clip in but am very excited with the different cycle experience looming.
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    I am 5'11" and ride a 56cm PX XLS. I'm only down the road from you in Blackburn (work at least) and my commute, on this bike is 10.5miles, about half and half road and canal.
  • Nice one....going with the xls,checked out a few others but i always come back to the xls so gonna go with the gut feeling,checking out spd's now :-\ love riding with flats but think its time to "man up" and clip in!!!
  • bobley
    bobley Posts: 60
    I'm 5'11" and ride the 54cm XLS. It works but you do get the odd toe clash on the front wheel.

Apart from geo the DD is a fair bit lighter as the XLS comes with ali steerer fork 769g vs the full carbon DD @ 490g
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Just got a reduced XLS frameset from Planet X via e-bay which I'm trying to build up on a budget* mine came with a full carbon fork so I don't know if they've changed the spec as the website says ally steerer :?: ;both the bods I spoke to at PX didn't seem surprised when I said it was a full carbon fork though.

*Not necessarily succeeding at this although I'll come in a fair bit under the full price.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Good luck with the build,hope you manage within budget...pondered the idea of a mtb build over the years,in just so indecisive/impulsive i can't choose the make/frame id like to start with .

CX biking hopefully will be a quality experience though.
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    Does anyone know the F &F weights for the XLS, DD against a Kinesis pro 6?
  • The planet x website has the weight specs for xls & DD on the chosen bikes page...the kinesis is also the same on a number of stockists sites (don't have pen handy to actually scribble them down,sorry).

J
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    The planet x website has the weight specs for xls & DD on the chosen bikes page...the kinesis is also the same on a number of stockists sites (don't have pen handy to actually scribble them down,sorry).

J
    but do you believe them though?
  • Fair point ;-)