which pikes?

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
After a lot of changing my mind about buying a new frame and going 650b I have decided to stick with 26". The main reason for this is this purely because I am enjoying riding my Blur LT so much at the moment.
I have decided however to make a few choice upgrades to my current setup as I am riding a lot harder these days!
I have just bought the hope bits today to go on to 1x10 32t - 11t/40t and a cane creek angle set (full set with all the cups)
My final 2 upgrades will be Carbon wheels off superstar and a new set of forks.......

These will be Pikes!! however I cannot decide between the rct3 160's in solo air or dual position?? :?

Is there more stiction in the dual air on the pikes? I am planning on running my head angle at about 66 degrees for descending so to be able to drop the fork down to 130mm and around 68 degrees for climbing would obviously be a bonus but really don't want to sacrifice the initial stroke of the fork!

What do you rekon???
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The stiction shouldn't be affected, but sometimes the damping can be less good in the dual position forks.
  • jonnyashworth
    Is this the case with the pikes?
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I run both and the 2P ones have been great. I think the air spring progression loses a bit and they do seem to have a fraction more stiction, but nothing like the old Float > Talas comparison. Im really happy with the 2Ps and they seem way more reliable than old rockshox 2Ps.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • jonnyashworth
    I used to have a set of 2009/10 36 talas rc2's and the stiction was TERRIBLE! Couldn't live with that!
    Currently I have a set of 2013 150 RC2 Revs (single position) and a set of 2011/12 float 150's FIT's RLC Kashimas and they are both fine! the Revs without Kashima have less stiction than the Kashima Floats (go figure lol).

Any idea how the damping performance would compare to these on the dual position pikes?
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have dual position air revelations and it's not half as bad as Talas or U turn used to be. There is a difference in performance between the two positions, you can set it up so one is perfect but then change it to the other position and the air pressure isn't quite right.
    I set mine up how I like them when extended and in that position you wouldn't notice any extra stiction or damping issues.
  • jonnyashworth
    Just out of interest what is the axle to crown length of the 160 26" pike? cant seem to find out anywhere online
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • Cheers for that.
    My current forks on my BLT are 150 Revs with an AtoC of 529mm the next thing I have to figure out now is how much travel to go for??? :? :? :? :? To much choice!!!!
    Should I go for 160mm travel with AC of 542?? will this raise the bottom bracket noticeably? or will the angle set compensate for this? Or should I go for 150 which are only 3mm longer than my current forks?
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • I have used Geometry calc and found that if I run a -1 headcup and a 542mm fork that the BB will rise by 4.6mm.
    Will thes be noticeable?

Currently My BB sits at +/-0mm in relation to the axles.
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    No thats not enough to make a difference.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.