Seat post slipping on Enigma Ti frame

Simmo72
Simmo72 Posts: 262
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I've picked up a second hand enigma esprit frame, lovely ride but having a pain with the seat clamp.

My alloy Deda seat post slips regardless of how tight (within reason, I'm not going to over do it) the enigma own brand clamp is set. its not just a small slip, it will drop cm's in a matter of miles.

Do I leave bare, or add copper slip or will carbon paste work with the granuals to add some purchase.

To resolve I took the clamp off my cross frame same diameter and its fine. I have since tried a new clamp and its the same problem as the enigma own brand.

The cross clamp is taller, so I suspect the compression over a wider area is whats working, but is this all caused by having a lot of seat post in the frame? This is a classic geometry straight top tube so I only have 120 ml of post on show, with the rest of the 350mm in the frame. Does anyone know if a short length post would help work with the smaller clamps. If not I'll just hunt down another thicker clamp.

Cheers

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I'd go for copper slip first, then one of those funny double seat clamps that you can get.

May also be worth a quick call to Enigma to see if they have any options as well.

Anyone more proficient with ti than me who can offer any other assistance?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    Thanks, didn't know such double clamps exist, and yes contacting enigma is probably a good idea. looks to me like the internal diameter is little bigger as the seat post glides in too easily, though its only a fraction as there is no wobbling. at least its rideable.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    No worries - Ness ones are £4.99 at Planet X (down from £14.99) so a pretty inexpensive punt really. Worth a bash. - if it doesn't work just set fire to it and move onto Plan B.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,251
    Part of the money you pay to a frame builder is to pester him with questions... ask Enigma, I am sure they will give you the best advice
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    The seat clamp on my Kinesis kept letting the post slip. Eventually I was tightening it up so much I snapped the bolt. Bought a Thompson clamp and it doesn't slip at all and I don't need to tighten it much either. It would seem all clamps are not created equal.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Part of the money you pay to a frame builder is to pester him with questions... ask Enigma, I am sure they will give you the best advice

Except he bought it second hand....

I am sure that the guys at Enigma will be more than willing to help out though.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Bought a Thompson clamp and it doesn't slip at all and I don't need to tighten it much either. It would seem all clamps are not created equal.

My Burls Ti had a problem with a slipping Thomson seatpost with a cheap seatpost clamp, despite using gritty carbon assembly paste. I considered a wider clamp but the amount of protruding seat tube would not allow it. I called the frame builder and he said "Get a Thomson clamp". So I did. Problem solved.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    a thin shim made from a cut up coke can will do the trick.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    a thin shim made from a cut up coke can will do the trick.
    If a Coke can is too thick, try a diet coke can.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Thomson seat clamp worked for me too. But not at the 2NM they specify. That is with a steel frame and carbon post. And, the clamp is turned round so that the bolt is at the front rather than over the slot at the back.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo