Tour of Wessex - the curse strikes again

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
Anyone else signed up for the Tour of Wessex this coming Bank Holiday weekend? I'm not sure what the organisers did in a previous life to have incurred the wrath of the weather gods, but, yet again, the forecast doesn't look too rosy. I'm still suffering post-traumatic stress after battling over Exmoor last year into the headwinds, and this year, just once, wouldn't it be lovely to have some good weather across all three days?! A great set of rides and routes, with good company thrown in. Any forum riders going to be there as well?

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    we've had good days there before, as well as some horrendous ones! I remember 2011 was particularly horrific and especially so on the last day but 2012 was warm and sunny and I was well over dressed and peeling layers off left right and centre! Sun & Mon look positively lovely!

Have a great time this year - I really need to get back down there next year.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Slo Mo Jones
    Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
    Is it always on the second May bank holiday? I really fancy doing a couple of stages next year. It's a nice part of the world.
  • topcattim
    Is it always on the second May bank holiday? I really fancy doing a couple of stages next year. It's a nice part of the world.
    I think so; it certainly has been for the last few years. I would thoroughly recommend it!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Its a great sportive, well organised and in the most lovely parts of the country. The weather has been great and also awful at times but this year come what may i intend to do all three.

I must not get drawn into the local pubs

:D
  • Vino'sGhost
    actually looking at the weather forecast i might do the second two days.

It is my holiday after all :)
  • topcattim
    Its a great sportive, well organised and in the most lovely parts of the country. The weather has been great and also awful at times but this year come what may i intend to do all three.

:D
    All three for me too. At least the worst of the weather will be out of the way by Saturday night...
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I am doing this! Only Day 1 though... I picked well. This is my back yard I only live about 4 miles from the start point.

Looking forward to it just not the weather..
  • topcattim
    twist83 wrote:
    This is my back yard I only live about 4 miles from the start point.
    What are the road conditions like? Round my way in Hampshire we still have lots of gravel out on the road flushed out by the rains and the disintegrating potholes. How is it with you?
  • twist83
    A week ago today in the glourious sunshine I road about 50 miles of the route that we will be doing tomorrow including up Cheddar. Roads are ok for the most part. The odd pothole but I do not remember encountering any gravel apart from the other side of Cheddar Gorge but we won't be going down that exact road.

You get the odd hole as is the norm. My only concern would be the amount of rain we may have as this area as I expect you know is notorious for flooding and standing water. So just watch out for water.

Few patches of very rough tarmac which just becomes a chore to cycle on with the vibration but nothing dangerous so to speak :) It is a really nice route tomorrow they have planned. Looking out my window it is raining :(
  • I'm not far from Somerton and one of my regular routes takes me up around Alfred's tower/Stourhead. If you're doing the standard route on Saturday it will take you through the woods between Stourton/Stourhead and Penselwood - this road was quite gravelly when I rode it on Wednesday, particularly at the sharp left turn just before you head up the hill. It's a shame because that stretch is relatively level and straight and seems to encourage you to go (too?) fast...
  • twist83
    Weather was diabolical and roads were in some places crap. One section had been gravelled as well which was pretty lethal.

Enjoyed the day but a sad sight when climbing a hill. We saw a group of riders and cars/bikes pulled over. Assumed maybe a car had hit a bike. However cycling past there was a chap on his back with someone administering chest compressions, air ambulance was called. It did not look good :( I really do hope whoever this chap was is still with us.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Sunday/Monday made up for wet Saturday. Able to see both routes at their best with great views of the sea and Exmoor.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • topcattim
    bahzob wrote:
    Sunday/Monday made up for wet Saturday. Able to see both routes at their best with great views of the sea and Exmoor.
    Absolutely agree. Saturday was grim, but surviveable. Sunday was a lovely day - somehow I've got sunburned legs! I found the riding tough that day, but only because I couldn't get onto any groups. Monday was superb - again partly because I found a group at the top of Exmoor - thanks "Tour of Wessex Iron Man", "Martin from Dorking, you worm! :wink:,", "Clapham Chaser, glad you caught me, I'm so bored" and "Alps shirt punctured in last 10 miles", that worked really well all the way to the finish, with the odd group composition change (shame I can only remember one real name!). Porlock Toll Road is a thing of beauty, and the views back to the sea were sensational.
    twist83 wrote:
    a sad sight when climbing a hill. We saw a group of riders and cars/bikes pulled over. Assumed maybe a car had hit a bike. However cycling past there was a chap on his back with someone administering chest compressions, air ambulance was called. It did not look good :( I really do hope whoever this chap was is still with us.
    Me too, that sounds desperate. I heard of a few accidents - one guy (another Clapham Chaser, I think), came off at the bottom of Cheddar Gorge when there was sudden braking in front of him and thank goodness stayed where was, while his bike skidded across the road for its forks to be flattened by a Transit van); and I heard of someone else who broke a collar bone after a coming together when a child ran across the road. Let's be careful out there!
  • Vino'sGhost
    fantastic event again. Beer did not help much :oops: