26 x 1.1-1.3 tubes with long valves - do they exist?

.Tim.
.Tim. Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in MTB general
I own a Giant Anthem (2011), which comes with 26 inch Giant P-XC2 DW aluminium rims.

I'm thinking about getting some Continental Ultra Gatorskin tyres to use over the summer, but in 1.125in width, I'll need to source some new tubes too.

I've had a brief search and have found some Continental tubes which are 26 x 1.1-1.3, but they come with a 40mm valve length.

Because my rims are quite deep I don't think 40mm will be long enough to attach my track pump with ease.

Are there any tubes of a suitable width, which also come with an extended valve? Ideally I'd be looking to bulk buy a pack of 5/10 rather than individually.

If anyone can offer any support or guidance on where I can find the tubes I'm looking for, or if you think I'll be fine with 40mm valves, I'd really appreciate any comments you might have.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Funnily enough, giant do their own brand tubes just as you need......who'd have thought of that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .Tim.
    .Tim. Posts: 6
    The Rookie wrote:
    Funnily enough, giant do their own brand tubes just as you need......who'd have thought of that!
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

According to the Giant website the tube they manufacture in 26 x 1.1-1.25 only has a 32mm valve length, and longer valves only come on wider tubes, neither are any help.

If I've missed something I'd be really grateful if you could provide a link to show where I can find the tubes I'm particularly looking for.

Thanks in advance
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not looked at the website but the Giant store I was in recently had some with 50mm valves for 1.0-1.5" tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/continental-tour-26-slim-tube/rp-prod18905 - box says 42mm valve stem. Bingo. No bulk buy option though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/continental-tour-26-slim-tube/rp-prod18905 - box says 42mm valve stem. Bingo. No bulk buy option though.

See the first review? Tears around valve joint. True that, all conti tubes seem to suffer, get around it by putting the locking nut on the inside of the rim, ideally use a lock nut with a lip to fit a presta tube in a schrader hole.

Also try searching for 650C x 25mm tubes rather than 26" x 1.1 it's the same size but can be easier to find road specific tubes it's a smaller road wheel used on small ladies, TT and youth road and CX bikes.

Same product, 60mm stem option: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cont ... -prod30281
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.