Best single-sided SPD with good MTB flat platform

shanesivapalan
shanesivapalan Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi Chaps,

Just getting back into MTBing (XC mainly) having spent the last 6/7 years commuting on a racer.
Just come back from some crazy cool XC and DH trails in Bolivia, and needless to say, have re-caught the MTB bug.
Just taken delivery of my new toy; a 2013 Kona Hei Hei Deluxe (I think a bargain-ish at £1530 from Wiggle.com).

Bought some Shimano M530 MTB pedals as didnt like the size of the platforms around the standard SPD pedals that the bike came supplied with (i think Shimano M324 combination pedals); however having just tested them, realised they aren't what i want... as essentially neither side provides a totally flat platform for non-spd shoes.

Hoping you learned folk can point me in the direction of your favourite single-sided SPD, with a proper fully flat platform which ideally has some half-decent studding on it, doesn't weigh a ton (i.e. under 500g) and is something different to the Shimano A530 (which I use on my racer and are good, though would prefer something a little grippier on the platform side).

Any suggestions welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Shane

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    For mtb there is no such thing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That misses my point
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmm he said best (least worst?), but I agree there is no good pedal as it's a bad idea......just learn to ride clipped properly or flats properly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    For mtb there is no such thing.
    Exactly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown