CycloX Mudguards???

AORboyo
AORboyo Posts: 53
edited June 2014 in Cyclocross
On the lookout for mudguards for my Cannondale CaadX Disc Cyclocross bike, before folk start ranting that mudguards have NO right to be on a CX bike.....I only use this bike for Winter training / Commuting / Gravel Cycle Paths, all the recommendations lead me to SKS Chromoplastic guards, are these the best on market or are there other options / recommendations that you good folk can lead me to???

Thanks!!!

Comments

• The sks long boards are one choice (although might not be ideal on gravel)
    This is what the mudguards you are looking at look like on the synapse.
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12968790&p=18866859#p18866859
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I used SKS Chromoplastics on my Tricross for a couple of winters and I was pretty happy with them. Unless there's something new that's appeared in the last 2/3 years then I think they may be the best option for full guards.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Ditto on the SKS - had them on my Stevens Vapor CX for years and they were perfect. I did run 32c tyres though - not sure the clearance would be sufficient for 35c 'nobblies'.....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • ai_1
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Ditto on the SKS - had them on my Stevens Vapor CX for years and they were perfect. I did run 32c tyres though - not sure the clearance would be sufficient for 35c 'nobblies'.....
    They're available in a range of sizes, not sure how big they go but I'm pretty sure there were sizes above 40mm in the range. Should be fine so long as they'll fit on the bike.
  • I believe they have 45mm mudguards but I would check if they fit before buying them.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I had SKS guards on my Caadx but I had toe overlap on the front guard so I took them off. Depends on your frame size I suppose if this might be a problem.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • ai_1
    KentPhil wrote:
    I had SKS guards on my Caadx but I had toe overlap on the front guard so I took them off. Depends on your frame size I suppose if this might be a problem.
    Toe overlap isn't the end of the world. How often do you actually turn the bars more than a few degrees? Except manoevering at below walkng pace, the answer is probably never. Once you're aware it's there, it's unlikely to cause you a problem.
    I have toe overlap with or without mudguards. It's never caused me a problem.