2009 Transition Blindside

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited June 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Got my new (second hand) frame today, transition blindside 2009 large.

Looks lovely, few chips and scuffs but I plan on giving it a respray anyway

IMAG0600_zpsktsvzmed.jpg

Here's the build list so far

Frame: 2009 transition blindside
Forks: Rockshox Lyrik Rc2dh 2010
Shock: fox dhx rc4

Chainset:
Chain Device: e13 ls1
Gear Shifter:
Rear Mech:
Cassette:
Chain:
Pedals:

Brakes:
Handlebars: 35mm race face atlas raw
Headset: Superstar grande bambino reducer
Grips: Odi lock ons
Stem: 35 x 35 race face atlas
Seatpost
Saddle:

Hubs:superstar
Rims:superstar
Tyres:
Rotors:

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Such an awesome frame!
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Nice, like that

how much did you pay for that ?
  • pesky_jones
    £450 with the DHX RC4.

Funny, I've just been looking at your tracer. I wanna raw mine as well
  • DCR00
    Good price that

think that frame would look great in raw

im not going to lie though, its a job and a half of you do it yourself

very satisfying once complete, but there were points at which i wished id paid someone to do it

you wont get it completely bare either, as some areas will be too hard to reach, but that makes it unique
  • pesky_jones
    Hmm I really want to do it myself. I got surgery last week on my collarbone which is an argument both for and against doing it myself ha. Loads and loads of time, I'm going stir crazy, but it also means il have to do it left handed.

Don't know if I could live with bits that I couldn't get to, I'd have to get em ha. Would a pro leave any bits?
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    No way can you get all of it. The chainstay/ bottom bracket juncture area would be impossible. I love the look of that frame- looks really hardcore. But leave it white as it will be an impossible job.
  • DCR00
    Shot blasting will get it all

Not expensive either

But you have to strip the bike first
  • pesky_jones
    What do you mean strip it? Do what I can do with sandpaper and nitromors and then hand it over to be shot blasted? Is it ok to get it shot blasted? Won't damage it any way?

Or do you mean just take all the bearings etc out
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Shot/sand blasting is fine, but yeah you would remove all bearings etc. first. I've rawed a couple of frames - I did an Iron Horse Sunday which turned out great, and is probably a lot more tricky than this one, you just need patience. I first used emery cloth to do the round sections - that's dead easy and fast, I also did the same for most of the flat bits using a sanding block or something. Then crack out the paint stripper and wire brush for the really tricky bits. That's the bit that took the time, as paint stripper is crap these days. It would be easier to send it away, but you can do it yourself.

before:

p4pb8693493.jpg

after:

p4pb9131960.jpg

Those blindsides are really cool frames anyway, always really liked them. Should look really good raw!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The best blasting material for removing paint with NO damage to metal at all is using bicarbonate of soda.
    You won't want to be shot blasting an aluminium frame, you may as well save the money by throwing it away now, bead blasting is OK, but bicarbonate infinitely better, bead blasting still risks damage to threads and fine machined surfaces where the bearings go such as the headset.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DCR00
    any decent paint place will be able to strip the frame without damaging it
  • pesky_jones
    Lyrik rd2dh coil and superstar dh wheelset.

IMAG0636_zps895kmqvb.jpg
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Nice! What are you planning on using it for? A mini DH bike?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Glad they turned up safe and sound :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • pesky_jones
    Yeah I guess a mini dh, just a freeridey bike. Something that can handle roots and rockgardens etc. My hardtail hornet was getting battered haha

Yeah thanks to ilovedirt for the forks and wheels!