Getting rid of tub tape residue

ashryan91
ashryan91 Posts: 8
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Had a blowout on a tubular carbon wheel recently. Got the tyre off to find a sticky gauze-like residue leftover and its really stuck on there! Planning on gluing the new tub onto the wheel so I know this stuff has got to come off.

What could I use to do this that won't damage the wheel? Have got some generic "sticky stuff remover" but not sure if this is the best thing to use.

Cheers, Ash

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,529
    this is how you are punished for using tape :)

if there's enough tape left to grip, you may be able to soften the adhesive with a hairdryer and slowly pull it off

for the stuff you've got, check the contents, then check if any of it is harmful to epoxy (most likely it will be safe)

things like citrus degreaser, white spirit or isopropyl alcohol may also do it

once you've cast out the abomination, use only the one true glue: vittoria mastik one
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    A rasp file?
  • herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    Citrus de-greaser works a treat on tape residues.
  • ashryan91
    ashryan91 Posts: 8
    Thanks for the replies, I already bought a tin of Vittoria Mastik One for the new tyre :D

I wouldn't have chosen to use rim tape, the tubs came pre-fitted. I can see why glue is so much more popular now!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    ashryan91 wrote:
    Had a blowout on a tubular carbon wheel recently. Got the tyre off to find a sticky gauze-like residue leftover and its really stuck on there! Planning on gluing the new tub onto the wheel so I know this stuff has got to come off.

What could I use to do this that won't damage the wheel? Have got some generic "sticky stuff remover" but not sure if this is the best thing to use.

Cheers, Ash

Works a treat. Soak a cloth in it and run said cloth over the glue/tape so that's it's pretty wet but not all over the place. Leave it for half an hour then start rubbing the glue/tape off with a dry cloth. It'll get pretty messy but it'll do the job.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    ashryan91 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, I already bought a tin of Vittoria Mastik One for the new tyre :D

I wouldn't have chosen to use rim tape, the tubs came pre-fitted. I can see why glue is so much more popular now!

Wait until you see the glue left behind when it comes to changing a tub. I'm about to fit a couple of Veloflex Carbons and intend to take the rims back to spotless before gluing (not essential but I like to do it this way). It took a couple of days the last time...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Never had any issues with tape after using it on 3 sets of wheels for 5 years now and see no reason to move to glue to be brutally honest..............
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Removing tub tape is penance for using tape. When I get wheels with tubs on for work and I find tape I shudder.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Mine either stays stuck to the old tub and I just peel it off or I just peel it off the rim - never caused any issues at all.

In fact I changed a 2 year old tub today using tape and, including taking off old tub, putting new tape on, removing and fitting extender then fitting and pumping up new tub, it took less than one episode of Scooby Doo (original series, not remake) that the sprogs were watching.

Can't really see the point in moving to glue to tell the truth.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,529
    <...>
    Wait until you see the glue left behind when it comes to changing a tub. I'm about to fit a couple of Veloflex Carbons and intend to take the rims back to spotless before gluing (not essential but I like to do it this way). It took a couple of days the last time...

easiest i've found is schwalbe tub glue remover (usually cheapest from german online resellers)

squish on the gel, leave for 45-60 minutes, remove either with rough cloths or a plastic scraper, though if there're many layers of glue it may take a couple of applications
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny