Repair of a carbon frame

Sharky999
Sharky999 Posts: 103
edited May 2014 in Workshop
So my carbon frame suffered damage after the front mech hanger that is rivetted into the frame was pulled partially out the frame by the front derailleur, i sent it back and have recieved an email to say it has been fixed and is being returned.

I didnt think you could repair a carbon frame!

could anyone advise me on this.

Cheers

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Yes you can repair a carbon frame, depends on the damage though. Sometimes it's not financially worth it.

My little bro has had a metal rear dropout re-bonded into the frame after his repair failed (after about 7 years).

Look at the Americas Cup boats - they're all carbon and are repaired all the time ... (they're forever breaking them!)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's only glue and string - certainly no problem to repairing carbon frames and you can even buy repair kits to DIY. If you look at Calfee Cycles websites you'll see some pretty amazing repairs, but it does depend on the nature of the damage - if the headtube has snapped clean-off due to a head-on impact then most people would look to replace rather than repair. Likewise, fork blades
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yup - no problem at all to repair that: simple job.

As above, all they are is fibre and glue.

Problems only really occur when you take out in the rain and the weave starts to weft and weaken around mounting lugs and brackets which is why it's best not to use them in the rain ..........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Sharky999
    Sharky999 Posts: 103
    Thanks guys, hopefully get it back today