Superstar wheels

hainman
hainman Posts: 699
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Im on the lookout for a new rear wheel,the stock Giant wheel has given up,I really want something sturdy.lightish,although im only 11 stone,I have the usual dilemma

Ive read that the Superstar hubs are a bit hit and miss, Looked at the switch hubs and the Tesla,I would like something new and shiny,but wont rule out going 2nd hand if i see a deal,Just looking for a heads up on the build quality and longevity of the SS wheels,

Thanks
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Usually fine, they sells thousands of sets, but rogue sets do occur. The Switch hub is an old one, and things have improved since that (but are very cheap so...) - Tesla EVO is the newest I think. Then simply pick a rim to suit (and always go for double butted spokes).
  • hainman
    Cheers SS my head is fried with all this wheel picking,Hope,not Hope,Superstar not Superstar,i think I'll go with the Tesla,
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=861
    i take it these are the new ones?
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=878
    was looking at these and come in my budget but would stretch it if the newer Tesla was worth the extra
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • supersonic
    Yes, the former are the new ones - the latter are tougher, but much heavier.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not tried the Tesla but I have had two sets of the Switch Evo and wouldn't recommend them. Bad sealing and weak freehubs.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Used to have a set of Superstar Wheels with the Switch Evo hub and they were fine. Bearings needed replacing after about 18 months. They were pretty standard sizes so easy to get hold of and cheap. Freehub lasted about 24 mouths then I sold the wheel set to a friend.

I guess if you're doing regular DH on them maybe they are not strong enough but they worked fine for me and my mix of a little bit of everything from XC to DH.
  • hainman
    Not doing DH but ride Black/Red trail centres,local Rocky,rooty xc stuff with nice techy stuff,drops and jumps,so would like them to hold their own,I have thought of buying the hubs and get them laced to my rims,DT Swiss 456D rims,but not sure if these are stronger than the rims that come with the pre built Tesla EVO wheelset.Tactic rims i believe,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • supersonic
    Rebuilds aren't worth it, go new.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Get the Tesla Evo with the steel freehub body it costs the same, it weighs about 50g more than the Alu freehub but after 2 months not a mark on it where my original Tesla freehub was well marked after 2 rides.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Nothing wrong with superstar wheelsets... why pay more imo!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I've had 2 sets of Superstar wheels. On one of them the Trizoid freehub failed after 16 months on the bike (never looked at the bearings or even opened it up tbh) and they sent me out the newer 'better' version for cost price. No complaints from me. I'm seriously considering a set of their AM Carbons on Teslas so that'll be the third set of their wheels in as many years. A happy customer
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I wish I'd bought their carbon switch wheelset whe it was on discount...
  • rockmonkeysc
    The hubs are pretty strong and to be honest would probably last better on a downhill bike. They crack in the recess that the pawls sit in where it's less than a millimetre thick. I have cracked four in 18 months on my xc bike and I know other people who habe cracked more than one. The standard email response from Superstar suggests that it's a common problem.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have some 2009 superstar wheels bought used, they were all original when I got them and all I've had to do is replace both hub and freehub bearings in the rear, previous owner was a hard riding 16 stone guy so that sounds pretty reasonable. Mine are the Trizoid 'Superleggera' hubs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hainman
    Thanks for all your input fella's.Spoke with the wheel builder today and i can get front and rear Hope Pro2 EVO's for £165. £50 to lace them up....hes cheaper to buy the hubs than ANY other place i looked at.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • rockmonkeysc
    Who's that? That's cheaper than I have been able to find.
    Don't forget there's spokes and nipples on top of that as well, probably another £50-£70
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Who's that? That's cheaper than I have been able to find.
    Don't forget there's spokes and nipples on top of that as well, probably another £50-£70

local guy only charging me £50 to build my hubs to rims and that includes DT DB spokes & nipples
  • rockmonkeysc
    So basically building for free. Spokes are around a pound each.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    So basically building for free. Spokes are around a pound each.

http://www.wheelcraft.net/

give him a phone and see how much he'll charge if you get him to supply everything
  • hainman
    Its 165 for the hubs,50quid for the BUILD,Ie spokes nipples etc.Spoke to a guy who's just had a build done,Hubs,rims spokes and it was 260.the rims where 30 each,hubs 170,so yeh Big Al seems to be lacing them for nothing..
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie