clipless or flat pedals

martinmeatpie
martinmeatpie Posts: 7
edited June 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone. using m520 on my Giant Talon 0 29er at the mo. Riding to work/ Canal rides/disused railway paths etc. After the initial sideways tumbles I have got used to unclipping. but now thinking of going for a weekend cycle on the Monsal way peak district trail and surrounding area. Because I carrying my overnight gear do you think it best to switch to Flats. Wont be going on too rougher trail but with the extra weight and bulk may feel a little unsecure locked in. Was thinking of taking both pedals and shoes but want to keep weight to minimum. Been looking at Nukeproof Electron Flat Pedals and some Five Ten Freerider VXi Shoes. Any advice ?? Martin

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why do you think that?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Depends if you feel comfortable being clipped in. The Monsal way looks like the Waskerley way in terms of surface there are few difficult bits and I've ridden that clipped (M520) in on a road bike. Get some pedal adapters incase you find it too hard.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... 5jQtbw_wcB
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Chunkers1980. Don't want to cycle from Manchester to Buxton then find I fancy going somewhere a bit on the rough side/ when I get there. Not been riding long enough clipped to feel confident.
    Thanks Initialised may buy some and give them a trial run.
  • Initialised
    It's cheaper than going all out and buying proper flats.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    monsal trail isn't technical/rough
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I really dont see it as an issue of how techincal a trail is to where you use flats, or clips. But more a personal riding preference of what type of pedal you prefer if you are used to clips you will find performing some moves harder on flats as you cant pull up in the same way to unweight the bike.
  • Search this or any other Forum, or FB, and you will endless threads on this.

For me, on any sort of trails, use decent flats all day long, never looked back. Superstar Nano Techs for me
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Search this or any other Forum, or FB, and you will endless threads on this.

That.

Except that I use clipless (CB Mallets). :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Thewaylander

That.

Thats because your a bit of a jess, but thats ok we loves you anyways,
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have enough problems doing a "Del Boy" on flats without being clipped in as well :)

Just choose which ever gives you the confidence to concentrate on enjoying the riding.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

That.

Thats because your a bit of a jess, but thats ok we loves you anyways,

Me and most of the world's top downhillers ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Thewaylander
    You seen half those boys hair? more styling product thana red light district! girlies!

I reckon half of them moisturise!

Gee smashed it out on borrowed flats and 5,10s last time too :P
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Gee only used flats because of horrendous conditions. Put a foot down and pick up too much mud and he wouldn't be able to clip in again.
    Since I changed to spd for downhill I can't imagine going back, so much easier to pedal through rough stuff and never get bounced off a pedal.
    I use spds for everything from r**d to downhill.
    I don't understand the argument that flats are better for technical riding.
  • Thewaylander
    Neither do I, i just prefer flats because i enjoy riding on them and dont need gay looking shoes :p

also its really easy to wind SPD riders up...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't like clipless. That's all it is for me! I can't really tell you why, I just don't.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I like the fact that if I want I can ride my bike to the pub and walk up to the bar without sounding like a tap dancing billy goat :D:D:lol:

and when I started back on the bike I thought flats would save me buying spd shoes.... and promptly spent a ton on 5:10s :oops: :oops:

i dont notice any issues with riding tbh, modern flats and shoes are grippy as anything.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You know mtb shoe's cleats are recessed?
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    When I used to wear sods it was clipety clop clipety clop with every step, they may be recessed but not much, and those hard plastic soles provide the accompaniment!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Recessed enough not to stick out, and not all shoes have hard soles.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    supersonic wrote:
    I don't like clipless. That's all it is for me! I can't really tell you why, I just don't.

And that is all that matters :D

To the OP, use flats, if you were confident with SPD's you wouldn't have asked the question.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • cheers everyone. Going to try a pair of Bontrager SSR Multisport trail shoes. see how it goes Not the dearest around but some good reviews.
  • Initialised
    These look good:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... ery-41274/

1402068343197-1g0i1z2axdwea-700-80.jpg

1402068368787-i0yuh5j7m6im-700-80.jpg

just unscrew the clamp from one side and you have a decent double sided platform pedal.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No you'd have a pretty rubbish flat pedal.
    Probably takes less time to swap pedals (two screws?) than remove the clips, and unless you removed all of them, you'd still have a gamble as to what you'd be getting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    cooldad wrote:
    No you'd have a pretty rubbish flat pedal.

Agreed, the pins on those look crap, pedals like those are always a compromise in my opinion.

I use Neutrons with Five Ten shoes and it's grippy as feck.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    SPDs all the way here - feel more secure, allow for better pedalling technique (using the upstroke) and dont get my shins cut to shreds by the insanely sharp spikes that you need to keep your feet on flat pedals.

Plus, wind the tension down and dont worry that you wont unclip - its easy and foolproof.