Cheaper electric or expensive cable gruppo?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
If you were buying an expensive top end frame like a Colnago C60, and you needed to keep costs under control, would you put Athena EPS on it or Record cable? It also means with a C60 you would have to decide before buying the frame. (or Ultegra electric v DA cable)
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Either DA cable or Record cable depending on which way you swing.

I'd have DA, personally.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    DA 9001 looks great but the Ultegra Di2 looks dreadful and it'd be a travesty to put it on that frame, I've always used Shimano but given that frame I'd turn to the dark side and go for Record or Chorus. EPS...far too expensive, mechanical and a good set of wheels.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Depends if you're planning to change gear much - having moved to electronic shifting, I'm never going back: mechanical shifting is so last century :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Why do say you have to decide before ? I thought there is a C60 dual model which will take both mechanical and electrical, so you can start with mechanical and upgrade later.

I don't think there is a specific mechanical model, it is either dual or electrical.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The C59 turned into being able to take mechanical or electrical, I thought the C60 continued this. If it is like that, I'd go for Record every time.
  • Chorus is more than adequate
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Chorus is more than adequate

+1 to this. Ultegra in any guise is butt- ugly. And I hear Chorus will perform just as well as Record. New Campag will be out soon too, so you can either be super trendy or get a good price on 2014 Chorus.
  • I'd vote Chorus cable. I expect there to be big forward steps made with electronic group sets over the next three years (wireless being part of it), but they're not there yet. If buying a bike now, I'd stick to mechanical and believe that Chorus is a "sweet spot" in terms of performance and price.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Yep I would go Chorus too, Ultegra or DA on a Colnago.... noooooooooo :shock:
  • theobrixton
    theobrixton Posts: 92
    Chorus is more than adequate

+1 to this. Ultegra in any guise is butt- ugly. And I hear Chorus will perform just as well as Record. New Campag will be out soon too, so you can either be super trendy or get a good price on 2014 Chorus.
    +2 I got Chorus on my recently purchased Basso. Have Record EPS on the BMC and while I really like it, decided it just wasn't enough of an "improvement" over mechanical to spend those big dollars again.

Chorus has all the function of Record/SR with virtually the same aesthetics and much cheaper. There's no downside, unless you care about a couple of hundred grams.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Chorus cogs and 6870 Di2 derailluers. The best of all options.

Much cheaper than EPS and much easier on the eye, meaning everyone will just see those lovely chainrings and cranks.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Chorus cogs and 6870 Di2 derailluers. The best of all options.

Much cheaper than EPS and much easier on the eye, meaning everyone will just see those lovely chainrings and cranks.

The 6870 Di2 derailleurs look dreadful, admittedly they are better than the first gen but I wouldn't even put them on a Trek.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Record - because if everyone is putting Chorus on their bikes you want to be different ;-)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Record - because if everyone is putting Chorus on their bikes you want to be different ;-)

Oh, but they won't be. Most people will still be putting Record on........ Besides, Chorus is the ultimate discerning choice.

(says he whose Look is now a Record, SR mix but with Centaur US 10 shifters!)

PS Electronic groupsets are turning bicycles into gadgets and that isn't a good thing. My camera (Panasonic Lumix) is more gadget than camera and it is bloody awful for it!).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • on-yer-bike
    I only use Campag but mentioned Shimano just to make the point as others top end frame choice might be a Parlee or something and they may prefer Shimano. I didnt realise the C60 was dual fitting. I would definitely go with the 2015 and probably Chorus. I dont think carbon front mech cages are a good idea anyway. Its just a thought at the moment and then there is the disc option – will we all be aspiring to electronic shifting and discs in a few years?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • rolf_f
    I dont think carbon front mech cages are a good idea anyway. ?
    Better than the bendy alloy ones! :wink:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    +1 for Chorus cable. Have got Super Record cable on the Rourke and the extra money just buys you a bit less weight, which ain't worth it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • meanredspider
    will we all be aspiring to electronic shifting and discs in a few years?

Already there (for a couple of years now - just call me an early adopter). The braking is better, the shifting is better and it's been totally reliable - why wouldn't you?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f

Already there (for a couple of years now - just call me an early adopter). The braking is better, the shifting is better and it's been totally reliable - why wouldn't you?

Now stop it! :lol:

And in answer to your question - lots of reasons!
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:

:lol: Sorry - sailing very close to the troll edge :wink:

Actually, I'm very happy that the roadie community hasn't caught on yet - long may it last. I love outbraking people into the bends on fast descents - it's a real buzz. Same goes for any ugly deraileurs - I'm the one that doesn't have to look at them whilst I'm riding :wink: 8)
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

:lol: Sorry - sailing very close to the troll edge :wink:

Close? More like right over! That'll teach you to ride a bike with rim brakes when you are used to discs! :lol:
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:
    Close? More like right over! That'll teach you to ride a bike with rim brakes when you are used to discs! :lol:

:lol:

Actually, when I ride the Foil in the wet, I nearly crack the saddle in two when I realise how crap the brakes are relative to the Volagi's discs :shock: :shock: There are no hills here (in Amsterdam where the Foil lives) so it's much less of an issue though.
  • Bar Shaker
    Rolf F wrote:

Having chain links smashing into it is not one of carbon fibres best applications.

Lumix photos are amazing, Rolf and you can always just press the button. You are setting new standards of luddite. :wink:
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • rolf_f
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Having chain links smashing into it is not one of carbon fibres best applications.

Lumix photos are amazing, Rolf and you can always just press the button. You are setting new standards of luddite. :wink:

I try! Seriously though, the photos are OK (not amazing - the pixel count is huge but at full resolution very grainy) but it is spoiled by trying to become a gadget. The touch screen is dire and almost utterly pointless. I want a camera that just takes photos rather than tries to impress me with stuff that actively makes the pictures worse. Probably something like this - next year maybe.

er_photo_191977_42.jpg

I'll not disagree too much about the application of cf to front mech cages but at least the cf ones have the decency to be either straight or broken. I suspect the best ones are from a few years back when they were made of steel.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Rolf... a camera is just a camera, what matters is the optics. With good lenses you take great shots, with standard lenses photos are bland
    left the forum March 2023
  • on-yer-bike
    A camera is just a camera, a good photographer can take good pictures with a mobile phone. Lenses help though and my X100 has a fantastic lens and sensor.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • rolf_f
    Rolf... a camera is just a camera, what matters is the optics. With good lenses you take great shots, with standard lenses photos are bland

I know - but a camera that takes stoopid random pictures because it has a touch screen shutter you can't turn off and loads of unnecessary functions that get in the way of just taking pics is something that just spoils the experience. There actually is a really nice camera buried under the crap but it's just hard to find it beneath the bloatware. It's a good camera made for people who don't want a good camera!

Imagine a nice set of Campag shifters - you are pushing hard. You press the button to change from the 15 to the 13. Instead of changing gear, the shifters ask you if you'd like to download a Youtube first. That's my Lumix!
  • Bar Shaker
    You have to enable 'touch to shoot'. By default the screen is set to 'touch to focus'. I think it is the best pocket camera out there (so do the mag reviews) but each to their own.

Apologies for the thread drift.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro