Cane Creek 40-series headsets?

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Anyone got any experience of these? Was about to pull the trigger on Hope as my experience has been great but saw these for a fair bit less cash.

Cheers

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Cane Creek are generally great. I think this gets fab reviews. Why send Hope money? After all it's just a headset.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Hope are better sealed... but not by much. We run CC40s over Hope because the cost difference just cannot be justified.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • 101_North
    Cheers guys. Turns out that b the time I buy the different cups the cost difference between the CC40 and the Hope pick and mix isn't that great. Probably just go with Hope. I did see a Gusset mix and match headset which is pretty cheap but know little about the brand.

Thanks
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I got my 40 for just £30 and it's decent. The upper cup is well sealed but the lower leaves a little to be desired. The seal just isn't quite up to the job so lets grit in which causes the whole thing to creak occasionally. Never once had that problem with my old Hope but then it would have been more than twice the price so I can live with it. Wish I had looked around a bit more though, found the two halves of a 110 came to only £40 on CRC a week later although they were red and purple :x .

If I was having to buy the cups separately I would probably go for Hope unless the 40 was on sale.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    peter413 wrote:
    I got my 40 for just £30 and it's decent. The upper cup is well sealed but the lower leaves a little to be desired. The seal just isn't quite up to the job so lets grit in which causes the whole thing to creak occasionally. Never once had that problem with my old Hope but then it would have been more than twice the price so I can live with it. Wish I had looked around a bit more though, found the two halves of a 110 came to only £40 on CRC a week later although they were red and purple :x .

If I was having to buy the cups separately I would probably go for Hope unless the 40 was on sale.

I've found a decent layer of grease on the bearings solves this. The seal seems hood enough to keep the gear from being washed out but without it you're right about the creaking.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I got my Cane Creek 110 on Wiggle for £45
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    benpinnick wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

I've found a decent layer of grease on the bearings solves this. The seal seems hood enough to keep the gear from being washed out but without it you're right about the creaking.

That's exactly what I've done which helps keep the water out but makes the grit stick hence the creaking. It's not a constant creak though, just occasionally when I'm climbing so I can live with it. Just know to buy a 110 or Hope if I get a tapered steerer.
  • 101_North
    Thanks for the replies folks. Ended up going Hope as I needed separate cups and the cost difference was minimal. Always been happy with Hope and cost would have been my only motivation to change.

Cheers