Ground anchor

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
I know this is not the most expensive anchor and chain but would it be a good enough deterrent for a bike stored in a garage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-HEAVY-DUTY-MOTORCYCLE-PADLOCK-BIKE-CHAIN-WALL-GROUND-ANCHOR-LOCK-SECURITY-/350669639736?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item51a58a1038

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Its better than nothing but I think you want the anchor to have no exposed bolts (ideally sunk into concrete) and the chain to be more substantial to be truely effective. A good Kryptonite or similar chain locking it to an immovable undetachable object.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    At the very least you'd need to block up the allen heads of the bolts to prevent someone just unscrewing the anchor (especially since you probably have a set of allen keys in the garage with the bike). Sometimes they come with ball bearings to knock into the top, although I'm sure that's not foolproof.

The chain could be cut easily with big bolt croppers but then so can most bicycle chains under 14mm diameter. Google Almax - they make big but expensive chains and their website shows how quickly smaller chains can be cut. I guess it depends how likely local scum are to have a set of bolt croppers.

For £20 the padlock is probably a bit pants too.
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    ground anchor should be fine, just either totally round off the heads once its in or smash ball bearings into the bolt head.

The "cheapness" will be in the lock and chain however, better than nothing but for proper security something insurance approved is a good option
  • toastedone
    Thanks, I have ordered it now, I will be drilling out the bolt heads to round them off, and I will invest in a better chain, the bike will be locked down yo the anchor with that chain and my bike will be locked to mybkids 3 bikes with a kryptonite lock as well. I will invest in a better chain eventually
  • kahunajb
    kahunajb Posts: 26
    I've got that ground anchor and yet to fit in my new house garage however can confirm that it comes with ball bearings to hammer into the allen key holes.
  • toastedone
    kahunajb wrote:
    I've got that ground anchor and yet to fit in my new house garage however can confirm that it comes with ball bearings to hammer into the allen key holes.

Good to know, thanks